Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 3,814 Times in 753 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    Question: Do any of you have an antivirus app on your phone? I would like input if you do, or if you don't why not. An antivirus would I think kill performance on this old design; and from what I see on the net smartphone antivirus is not really recommended?
    I've not installed an antivirus app. I think you should be fine if you install only trusted apps from the Google Playstore and do not connect to any external WiFi networks.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poisonous Fungus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,538 Times in 3,320 Posts
    Somehow, almost 3 weeks after planting, 3 more seeds sprouted, long after I had given them up as lost, 2-7 days being normal germination time. This would appear as planting too deep, but I looked and some said 1/2", some said 1" so I planted them 3/4". I'll go 1/2" in future.

Now I have 6, the legal limit, but half of those may be male so I'll plant 3 more seeds as hopeful replacements if need be. 2 plants are almost ready to transplant into the yard; I'm going to install chickenwire over them to keep varmints out.

It's late in the season but ima get a damn crop out of this yet you watch

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The newest kid didn't make it. Facing the upward battle of late birth + pronounced skinniness, he or she passed away today in the Sun.

But I planted another so life goes on. Maybe.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had a triple whammy this morning - the 1/2" galvanized pipe serving my back yard hose bibb corroded through and was spraying water all over the place. The hose bibb itself was inoperable due to locking up with corrosion. Meanwhile the plastic line serving the swamp cooler from that bibb developed holes and was spraying water on the roof.

Fortunately I'm a plumber and I happened to have all the replacement parts in my shop. A further blessing was when I removed the 80-year-old pipe, it came out cleanly without any further damage; and I was oh so careful installing the new one, it went on with no problem.

I had it all fixed in about 30 minutes.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,789 Times in 8,832 Posts
    s'very satisfying when you need parts for something and already
    have some on hand.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 306,087 Times in 10,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post
    s'very satisfying when you need parts for something and already
    have some on hand.
    My grandfather always prepared for these moments by keeping bits and pieces of everything, because "they might come in handy". Eventually, he was right. However, I still have some of the things he kept and haven't (yet) found a use for.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's something good I'll share. I'm in a better mental state, and it's all due to getting a smartphone. Intrigued? Don't be, but read on anyway

All my life, I've had a bad 'sense of direction'. I get lost easily and have to drive anywhere new several times before I can find it reliably. This has led to anxiety when going new places - what if I get lost? - and having to ask directions and fiddle with maps a lot. In addition I guess the subconscious fear of being lost has led me to have the same recurring dream, once every few months it seems:
    I'm out on the town with friends, having fun. Somehow I take a wrong turn and am instantly alone and lost. Nothing is familiar and I begin to panic. Then I wake up.
    This is no real big deal and in a life of many more important things it gets back-burnered. But it would be better to not deal with.

As I'm sure you know where this is going, I discovered Google Maps when I got my smartphone. I never thought of Garmin or anything like that before, but I should have.
    Suddenly I have a little circle on a little electronic map that tells me exactly where I am at all times. I tell it where I want to go and it shows me the route, even tells me which turns to take. I plug it into my car's radio and it nags me through 6 speakers. It's great. I know it's slightly irrational, but I'm not lost anymore.

I haven't had that dream since.

Last edited by BondJmsBond; 07-21-2021 at 02:03 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post: