Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 223 Posts
    Sorry to hear this Bond.

When I lost my dad 5 years ago, he hadn't planned for anything either, despite having had prostate cancer for a number of years. He'd lived a fairly basic life so there wasn't a great deal of moveable estate to liquidate and no property to sell. He did leave me 3 motorbikes, but they were worth only a couple of hundred £ in the condition they'd fallen into so I decided to keep those & restore them rather than try to get the cash. It was a shared interest we had anyway.

Between the funeral and a decent headstone, it set me back around £5,000, so much less than you had to find, but still a dent in the savings. Like you, I'm not making the same mistake with my mum and have made sure that it's covered although the plot and headstone are alreday taken care of as she'll be joining my brother who passed many years ago.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrC. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When my mother passed away (I was only 17 at the time, btw), she didn't planned for anything. As till her very last breath she hoped that she would've still be around for a long while, despite being bed-ridden and in a comatose state for 2 months.
    She fought cancer for 2 and a half years. And she fought it very hard.
    But, eventually, the cancer spread from her mouth to her brain. And there was very little to do about it, at that point.

Anyways, she only left me the house. But I was still living there. So I couldn't sell the house to pay for everything.
    Fortunately, though, my Aunt in Australia decided to pay for everything, which at the end was between 2500-3000$.
    Not a big deal, but still.
    It was definitely very hard to even think about it, at that time.

I have not even thought about my dad's funeral at all, as I hope that he will be still around for another 20 years (he's only 67). But, yeah.
    I saved all I could, throughout these years, to make a good funeral for him.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soldado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,285 Times in 3,249 Posts
    I just got off the phone with mom's hairdresser, an awesome lady who I really like. We talked for about an hour, she is 65 and doesn't even have a will. She will now do it + Living Will and is pre-paying her funeral. So Mom's passing has already done some good

Write a Will. ffs you don't want your kids fighting right after you're gone. Unless you hate them.
    Write a Living Will. You don't want to be a root vegetable bankrupting your kids.
    pre-pay or setup life insurance-direct to funeral home or something so your survivors don't have that burden at the worst time.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    https://nypost.com/2021/04/01/new-me...nal-marijuana/

Up to the Governor now, she better sign it.
    Important to me, this does contain the provision to grow 6 plants individually, or 12 per household. I'm a household
    Sales will be, predictably, newly taxed at up to 18%; in addition to the 8% gross receipts tax already levied. So, our government shoots itself in the foot again as few here will pay that premium and will just keep buying under the table.

I'm all in. I only have about 20 old seeds which I'll dig out my little plastic containers for and try to sprout. if they don't I'll get some from my friends, we're all gonna grow
    I looked for just seeds online - they want $89.99 for 5 seeds! Unreal.

- everybody be growin' that ganga -
    *to the tune of kung fu fighting
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 04-01-2021 at 04:26 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^ I hadn't heard anything lately, suddenly wondered about it, searched high and low and finally found the info, weed will be legal here in 24 days

"While marijuana will become legal on June 29, New Mexico residents will, for a time, need to grow their own (under the new law, they are allowed up to six plants each). That's because the state will first need to develop both a regulatory infrastructure and sufficient commercial supply before allowing retail sales, which could begin as late as April 2022."

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...-adults-2021-4

I thought it was gonna be another year but I can do it now! Legal to grow 6 plants! I gotta get some seeds! Sprout the plants! Get a crop in this fall!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 57,257 Times in 12,267 Posts
    Congratulations.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Do your demons, do they ever let you go..?
    When you've tried, do they hide, deep inside..?
    Is it someone that you know..?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,463 Times in 8,756 Posts
    you've been greenlit to get greenlit.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post: