Thread: The end of recreational drone and RC model flying in the USA?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,630 Times in 2,094 Posts

The end of recreational drone and RC model flying in the USA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixSOaL9aXUA

This may result in the requirement that all drones and model flying craft have a transponder so they can be identified and regulated by the FAA. Many small people-carrying aircraft do NOT have to have a transponder.

It's feared that commercial drones will be assigned all low airspace over a city (Amazon, Domino's etc.), and hobbyist drones and planes will be denied this and relegated to only be able to fly in some deserted places in the middle of nowhere.

Think of all the youtubers, realtors, on and on who would be unable to do their work.

I own none of these, and live close to an airport so no drone-flying allowed here.
    BUT, I see this as over-government regulation in favor of big business, with the millions of hobbyists/workers left in the cold unable to use their expensive craft.

An additional BUT, I can see that drones etc. could be used for terrorism, for example, so maybe there does need to be control over them.....

BUT, would a terrorist use a transponder? I think not, they'd tear it right out, or simply use a cessna or piper cub - that doesn't require a transponder and could be loaded with a big bomb...

I think that while this needs to be addressed, it is using a legitimate perceived fear to enable moneyed companies to dominate low airspace and deny the legitimate hobbyists, who have the same right to said airspace.

and I thought Republicans were supposed to be against big government and over-regulation!

I'm mad but a bit torn, and hope this comes out as something equitable and workable for the million(s) of RC aircraft and drone users.

Like I said, I don't have a drone etc. but I would want to be able to fly it if I did.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 249,918 Times in 8,369 Posts
    It's a tricky one because one can see the potential for drone users to cause mischief, damage and even terror. Is there a way of controlling/policing the harm without impinging on the freedom of drone flyers? Would registration without a transponder work? Is it feasible to mandate registration at point of sale/transfer of ownership? Like you have for a car, for example? Is it possible to identify a drone that is causing problems?
    You could be right that this will be followed by an airspace grab by big business, but that doesn't need to be the case. Geofencing of places, routes etc. could be part of the ownership package. Would that do the trick?

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 60,427 Times in 6,975 Posts
    one drone-related thing I'd like to try is where you wear VR-type
    goggles and race the drone around a circuit in first-person view.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 249,918 Times in 8,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post
    one drone-related thing I'd like to try is where you wear VR-type
    goggles and race the drone around a circuit in first-person view.
    Over Bond's house?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 60,427 Times in 6,975 Posts
    what a great idea - I'll go get some flyers printed up straight
    away for Mosquito Derby 2018.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If we could legislate only for the hard of understanding in our society then I'd be against such steps, but when morons fly the damn things into plane paths and use them as drug delivery platforms, then there has to be something draconian come - 'self regulation' is only ever interested in the first word, seldom the second, so that doesn't work.
    I do enjoy radio controlled things, although I stick mainly to cars from the perspective that, if it cuts out, it just stops: flying things stop doing so & you go hunt them with a bin bag....

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrC. For This Useful Post: