Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 12,869 Times in 2,342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post
    growing tropical plants

At least the monkeys and insects would have smiles on their faces

I've grown both indoors and out with mixed results. I stopped because I lived with the fear (it's illegal here unless you have a medical grower's license) that a cop would have to come into my house for some reason, and if growing outside all your neighbors can smell it after it buds out. It was certainly financially worth it, but I hated that ever-present nagging worry and deemed it not worth it. Mostly I can't risk getting busted while responsible for my mother.

I'm waiting for New Mexico to decriminalize personal use and growth of at least some plants. We're a pretty Liberal state in the forefront of causes - our governor has just now withdrawn National Guard troops from the border, defying Trump, for instance -
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rd/2788780002/

- but we're lagging behind in the legalizing pot thing.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 02-07-2019 at 12:41 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The Supreme Court bans Police civil asset seizure 9-0.

I'm generally pro-police but this is too much. Not based on conviction or even indictment, police can seize your house/money/car etc. if they have reasonable cause to believe they came from illegal drug profits. You have to sue to get your stuff back. Police directly profit by getting to keep the money/cars etc. to use themselves (in Philadelphia, 1/3 of the police budget comes from asset seizures) so it's a direct conflict of interest. It clearly violates unreasonable search and seizure and should never have been done. Asset seizure should be a post-conviction process.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 02-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Life Is good at the monent

After the latest winter storm, we now have at least a week of close to 60 degree temps ahead. Typical New Mexico weather.

In addition, my propane heaters are the best thing ever and cost me very little to run, keeping my garage shop just O so comfortable no matter the outside temp; they're a joy

I'm going out there now to work (and play) for some hours, Cya!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 48,373 Times in 9,799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    After the latest winter storm, we now have at least a week of close to 60 degree temps ahead. Typical New Mexico weather.

My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"I swear I didn't know that .45 was loaded...
    In fact my memory ain't too clear...
    That's not to say she didn't get what she deserved...
    Least that's the way it looked from here..."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 267,680 Times in 8,904 Posts
    Meanwhile, in Wales they recorded a temperature above 20C for the first time ever in February. That's good news, right?

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    Meanwhile, in Wales they recorded a temperature above 20C for the first time ever in February. That's good news, right?
    It took a team of surgeons three hours to remove my rain coat. My neighbours and I have amused ourselves by throwing rocks at the big yellow thing in the sky.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,680 Times in 2,559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    Meanwhile, in Wales they recorded a temperature above 20C for the first time ever in February.
    did the thermometer only just arrive??

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    The Supreme Court bans Police civil asset seizure 9-0.

I'm generally pro-police but this is too much. Not based on conviction or even indictment, police can seize your house/money/car etc. if they have reasonable cause to believe they came from illegal drug profits. You have to sue to get your stuff back. Police directly profit by getting to keep the money/cars etc. to use themselves (in Philadelphia, 1/3 of the police budget comes from asset seizures) so it's a direct conflict of interest. It clearly violates unreasonable search and seizure and should never have been done. Asset seizure should be a post-conviction process.
    This is great news. Justice won't make it up for those already affected but at least this prevents illegal shakedowns in the future. A major pinch for those who are honest and get caught in the web is, how can you afford a lawyer when every financial resource gets frozen. I've read about too many shady events where people fall prey to this practice. Guilty or not, the police should still be subject to prove their case before ruining people's lives like this.

Thanks for the Good News James Bond!
    To Each Their Own

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rbn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 207 Posts
    I couldn't think where else to post this and it seems strange to put this in the good news section but after the horrible attacks in New Zealand, the response has been truely inspiring.

Their Prime Minister has been an exemplar of how a politician should behave in such afwul circumstances, resolute and respectful, trying hard to support the whole country through a shocking time.
    Their legislature didn't make excuses, didn't put things off, they have grabbed the guns issue by the horns and are pushing forward with reforms.

The people have been magnificent in their response, rallying around each other, offering support wherever they can, letting the attackers and their ilk know that nothing will divide the people of New Zealand and an attack on one New Zealander is an attack on all New Zealanders.

A horrible event perpetrated by dispicable people but New Zealand shows that the human race is capable of being much, much better.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I guess this could go here.

My German friend is doing ok with his divorce, it's amicable and his kids are ok from what he says. He's even dating a new girl now

He is apparently still lonely, as he has just offered to pay for me to come to Germany and update his house - plumbing, heating and cooling, solar, etc.

He offered to pay me a staggering sum to go there for a month or two and do it. He is serious and can afford it, too. I would have to learn German measures and methods, plus the language etc..on and on. It would be the greatest fun ever and I'd love to do it, I could see Europe before it's too late and visit my uncle's grave in Belgium, etc. Chance of a lifetime, for me.

But I can't. I can't leave my Mom. She has only me. I can't tell Mom about this either because it would hurt her badly by making her think she is holding me back from it.

Shit.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 04-09-2019 at 02:33 AM.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post: