Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 12,044 Times in 2,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    Ah, Valhalla going up in flames. Redemption is at hand. But what comes after the Gods have gone?
    It's to early for names,our next elections for the Bundestag are 2021.But a few will throwing their hat in the ring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,257 Times in 2,225 Posts
    Dick Morris was a political strategist who helped Bill Clinton win the Presidency, then was fired for allowing a prostitute to listen in on a conversation between him and the President

He then appeared to become a Republican. He supported Romney and predicted a landslide victory for him, and had a political prediction failure award named after him when Obama won.
    He became a harsh critic of the Clintons, writing several critical books about them, and had said he would leave the country if Hillary became President.
    He was on Fox news around 2012, then was fired for not showing up.

He does short youtube opinion videos, which are informative, knowledgeable and entertaining if you discount his bias against the Clintons and Liberals.

anyway, this is one of his latest videos, continuing with the premise of an article which prompted me to begin this thread in early 2013: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/econ...ests-1C8344034

Here is what Dick said today about this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TMVUHArG8

Good News!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just got the news

My mothers' hairdresser called. She is stuck in her yard south of town where she lives and won't make it in tomorrow morning.

This means NO getting up Saturday at 5:30. NO sliding around on frozen streets to get some hair done.

Sleeping in. And....yes, belly up to the bar friends, I can drink tonight; as God intended.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Geneaoogy databases solving crime cases

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/us/mi...son/index.html

If you have committed a serious crime and they found DNA at the scene, if any of your relatives have sent in their DNA for ancestry purposes, you're probably going to get caught.

The DNA characteristics can be used to make a composite and aged if needed pic of you - hair/eye color, skin tone etc - and shown to family members and zing they got you. Many people have done those DNA Genealogy searches.

It kinda rings privacy alarm bells but the relatives voluntarily publicly submitted their DNA so it's not unreasonable search and seizure.

Pretty cool.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    One of my favorite old shows is now being repeated on a station I get on my free ota tv. Boston Legal. It rocks.

Unfortunately the commercials are all walk-in tubs and reverse mortgages. sigh

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I talked to my sister today for an hour or so.

I just want to say she is one of the best and coolest people I've ever known, and I'm not just saying that 'cause she's my sister.

I am so lucky to have her to talk to when I need understanding, empathy, and calm sound advice. She rocks.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    Our recent cold/snow/ice adventure here has prompted me to consider the purchase of portable propane heaters and lamps that do not use electricity so I can keep my mom alive at her home in the event of interruption of natural gas and/or elec. supply in the winter.
    I work sometimes with a propane guy/hardware store owner who I met, and I can get the hardware plus the propane at a good discount.

Later it struck me, I can use the heaters to heat my shop too! - it's mostly abandoned during the winter months, even being insulated it's just too cold, and trying to use electric heaters would be way too much $. With propane I could heat it for at least a few hours each day economically.

I'm gonna do it.

I now have this
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...dp/B002G51BZU/

and this
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-MH1...dp/B0002WRHE8/

+ 3-20lb propane tanks + regulated hose. Total cost about $350

It's freaking awesome. I could heat mom for about a week with these. They heat up my garage workshop like nobody's business even when very cold. I got a little discount on the heaters and tanks and get a good discount on propane tank fills, so it's very economical to use. I refill 1-lb tanks from the 20lb tanks for use with the Portable Buddy.

I am building stands for the heaters (which are ceramic/radiant, claimed safe for indoor use - but don't let that fool you these things can kill you) with attached combustion air piped from outside through flexible 3" hose direct to heaters, along with 2 adjustable louvers installed in garage walls for additional outside venting. CO detector and fire ext., it's about as safe to use as it can be.

and now I have a year-round shirt-sleeve workshop; I'm already out there a lot just having a great time instead of being cooped up in the house for the winter!

Before I would lug tools/materials etc. into the house for the winter to make things; it was a mess and a pain to go back and forth. No More!

These heaters rock and I'm a happy camper!

Judging by the youtube vids which I watched in order to learn about operation maintenance and safety issues with these heaters, I also now qualify as a redneck. yeehah.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 260,187 Times in 8,669 Posts
    Do they emit much water vapour? I know the versions that used to be popular over here tended to make rooms damp - combustion of propane, butane, etc. emits CO2 and water vapour. The venting will help, but curious about your experience.
    Lots of heat, though.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have read about that and if needed will buy a de-humidifier and/or increase venting. My experience so far has been no condensation or noticeable moisture anywhere, but I don't have the combustion air/venting installed yet so I'm keeping the door to shop open about 2-3 inches when heating. It'll be tighter when I have venting installed and can close the door. It's also really dry here with humidity often in the single digits so that may be a factor. Also the space may be large enough - 22' x 12' (6.7 x 3.6 meters), that it doesn't build up too much.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 02-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,799 Times in 7,333 Posts
    you could always pivot the mission profile of your shop towards
    growing tropical plants, though the obligatory sound of monkeys
    and insects might keep you awake.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post: