Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 12,482 Times in 2,263 Posts
    A thing I was really worried about for some time has turned out in the best way it possibly could have.

I can feel, the weight, off my shoulders now

an amazing thing, sudden freedom from great stress and worry

Oh what a weekend this shall be

Let's Dance!

Last edited by BondJmsBond; 05-04-2018 at 07:52 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 47,814 Times in 9,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    A thing I was really worried about for some time has turned out in the best way it possibly could have.

I'm glad to hear that, Bond.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"I swear I didn't know that .45 was loaded...
    In fact my memory ain't too clear...
    That's not to say she didn't get what she deserved...
    Least that's the way it looked from here..."

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I just slept 11 hours straight through, like a child without a care in the world

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cooking With Gas!

Aaahhh...

This is a hallowed moment. Allow me to explain, if you will.

I've had my house since 1995. It was my Grandmother's and stood empty for about 10 years. It was falling apart (and still is somewhat), and furnished from the 1960's. I still love my kitchen table. pic of same table

Anyway, one of the holdovers was an ancient electric range. You know, one of those huge battleships with storage in it too.
    A buddy of mine fixed it about 10 years ago and it works fine, but it's monstrous and light green (I think); also decaying with age. People generally gasp when they first see it, lolz.
    It worked, so I couldn't overcome the cheap gene and kept it.

But I always longed for a gas stove...I could be like a tv chef and fling stuff around over a big flame instead of waiting for the damn sissified electric element to heat up.

That's all over now!
    Due to a seen opportunity, some fast deal-making, and 2 hours of easy work I am now the proud owner of a brand new gas range! No warranty, but I can fix it myself at need.
    I installed it last night. The only hard part was getting the old range out of the house, I think it weighs like 400 pounds. geez that was a bitch. Also now there's some old linoleum floor exposed that dwelt under the old range for 50 years, gah. Have to put something there.

It's worth it, the new range works great! - it's a cheap whirlpool but that's fine, all I need. It's got the big ass oven window, bright oven light and 3 different sizes of burner. It has 'PowerBurner' and 'AccuSimmer'. Flame is perfectly adjusted for here (5000ft) out of the box. It rocks!

After 1st uses, I note some differences. Low on new (large) burner = medium on old. And it's fast. No more waiting around and watching Green Acres for a while before stuff heats up. no sirreee. This is great!

The above picture is an actual picture of my actual stove, taken with my actual camera during First Flame Ceremonies. (beer)

Happy Gas Range Day!
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 05-16-2018 at 10:14 PM.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 47,814 Times in 9,679 Posts
    I've had both but I'm always going to prefer a gas stove 10 to 1.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"I swear I didn't know that .45 was loaded...
    In fact my memory ain't too clear...
    That's not to say she didn't get what she deserved...
    Least that's the way it looked from here..."

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 63,183 Times in 7,382 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    The above picture is an actual picture of my actual stove, taken with my actual camera during First Flame Ceremonies. (beer)

Happy Gas Range Day!
    cut to the window where your bbq is standing in the rain, watching on forlornly.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 264,370 Times in 8,801 Posts
    Gas is much easier for cooking - adjusts the heat instantly. And, another great reason for having a gas cooker - it works when the power is out. We had a 48 hour outage due to a storm last year and still had hot food. Unlike our poor neighbours...
    One thing to watch out for, though, is ventilation. The burning gas uses oxygen and you need a well ventilated space. Might be an idea to invest in a carbon monoxide alarm. Just to be on the safe side.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 204 Posts
    We got talked into an electric range with induction hobs by a fast talking saleperson just before Christmas.

And you know, it's great, you should all get one, straight away, life changing.

Okay. okay. So it is utter rubbish, only works with pans designed for the induction hob, which do heat up immediately (faster than gas) but just about every pan we had needed to be replaced and still haven't found a wok that works with it.
    Ended up going out and buying a set of gas burners for camping and a gas bottle to run them off.

The double oven (one fan, one conventional) is much more controllable and seems to cook more evenly than the gas ones did but there is sometihng satisfying about putting a pan onto a blue gas flame - definitely the better option.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post
    cut to the window where your bbq is standing in the rain, watching on forlornly.
    He's ok, his domain of outdoor mesquite smoking and grilling remains unthreatened. ..and if only it would rain here!

Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    One thing to watch out for, though, is ventilation. The burning gas uses oxygen and you need a well ventilated space. Might be an idea to invest in a carbon monoxide alarm. Just to be on the safe side.
    Thank you, Misrule. There's always been contention as to whether an outside hood or vent is required, with different codes everywhere. I do have a kitchen ceiling vent/fan which I'll use when baking - especially in winter when house is closed up. I also will get a CO detector, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    We got talked into an electric range with induction hobs by a fast talking saleperson just before Christmas.
    I've wondered how well those work. Precision temperature control is the selling point I guess.
    I've seen tv chefs use one off to the side for a sauce etc.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I could write songs about the new stove. I'm getting the drill down and have only burned a few things
    Early on a pork chop gave it's life so I could know a burner setting is too high.
    Cooking is like twice as fast now, and different. Things seem better. The sun is a bit brighter, and the breeze fresher.
    With 3 different burner sizes all my stuff works just right.

Here's the cute littlest burner that will hold things perfectly below boil on low.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post: