Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 16,095 Times in 2,980 Posts
    My new vaunted media player does play H.265 files beautifully, and the captions work! I now plan another GOT journey this spring/summer

However, it seems to have stability problems with other files and generally is not as wonderful as I'd hoped, so I think I spent $50 so I could watch H.265 files on my tv in the garage and my larger tv in the house. Fair enough and I'll take it. I also still have my other media player, haven't sent it back yet. I could keep it; it plays all the files just fine that the new one won't........with both players I can play all my files on the tv's for $85. I suppose that's ok, I will probably keep the old one too.

The cheap lobe of my brain is a bit miffed, but my gadget-loving medulla is very satisfied, and it's not much money really.

I however don't recommend buying these, they're a little sketch and glitchy.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 69,420 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    My new vaunted media player does play H.265 files beautifully, and the captions work!
    [laughs in Dornish]

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The good news: I can write "fuck you president" in hungarian forums.
    The bad news: He does not fuck off

(I mean OUR leader)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsDecay View Post
    Nono might not be serious, but I'll tell you one thing-- he becomes the cornerstone of every fucking community he's a member of for a reason.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Since going to Germany is out of the question for me, my freund Hartwig vill be coming here April 6th He vill bring his daughters mit him, I can't wait to see him und meet them.

I have less than 3 months to get this house presentable, it'll be close.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    sounds like potential for buddy cop shenanigans.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Beware, Evildoer; for 007 sees you now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H3SRXG/

This thing totally rocks. It's packed with features; 1080p great picture, live stream it from anywhere, customizable motion and sound sensors w/notification, free cloud or onboard micro sd storage, night vision, mic and speaker to hear and talk over it, y mucho mas!
    And it all works, I tested it. It's better than a ring doorbell. 25 bucks. No subscription required, and all I had to buy was the cam.

It works with everything I have, too. On the tv's with fire stick Alexa "Show front porch" and boop there it is. To make it all work I had to jailbreak my Fire tablets to load Google Play so I could get the WYZE app on them, I actually did it right and view and control the cam through the tablet. This is really cool as I can use the tv's normally and have the tablet as the monitor.

I'm watching it now. I put the cam on a box and put it inside the window curtain looking out on my front porch and the street. Later I'll install it outside on the porch.
    This'll be great for working in the shop - I wonder how many people came to my door while I was out there, now I'll know when someone is there.
    I plan to get another cam so I can keep an eye on the front of my Mom's house across the street too. $25 apiece, I may get several.

....and I can finally maybe identify which dog-walking asshole it is that keeps putting a little bag with his dog's turds in my just-emptied-by-the-truck garbage bin on the street. ugh. Then I'll find where he lives and return his property in an imaginative way

The cam says when live streaming it's about 100kbps. I'll have to keep an eye on the internet use but I think I'm good.

I will post any cool stuff the cam catches. This is fun and I'm liking it

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    ....and I can finally maybe identify which dog-walking asshole it is that keeps putting a little bag with his dog's turds in my just-emptied-by-the-truck garbage bin on the street. ugh. Then I'll find where he lives and return his property in an imaginative way
    - attach form boards around their front porch
    - arrange shit in attractive tesselating pattern
    - pour in fast-curing epoxy

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've noticed some things, using this camera.
    Motion detection is changeable to any part of the image, I will make it small soon so it only reacts to someone on my porch or yard, but for now it gets any car or person going by.
    I get a notification and it records a 14 second clip with each detection, with a thumbnail that you can generally see what it is. I got well over a hundred alerts in the last 24 hours.

There's a larger amount of foot and vehicle traffic at all hours here than I had thought.

My neighbor to the South appears to do odd things for unknown reasons in her driveway and yard.

My front porch is clearly part of a cat super-highway, featuring no less than 6 vids in one night of assorted felines as they went about their nefarious deeds.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 01-17-2020 at 03:06 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Having immediately lost interest in watching neighborhood people, cars, and cats, I restricted detection so it mostly only gets people on my porch now. I'm down to about 7-8 alerts a day. It works fine, audibly notifies my tablet so I hear and can load the live stream in like 5 seconds to see what it is. I just watched a guy use my driveway to turn around, then apparently change his mind and drive off down the road, in reverse. lolz. Why would anyone do that...but I digress.

It works great and I really like it. I was all set to drop $47 for another cam and sensor package which would have been really cool and allowed me to do tons of epic stuff with smart integration, including Alexa, but then...

Wyze had a data breach about a month ago, some millions of customers had their info exposed. I had, I thought, properly researched even this cheap product; but this I did not know.
    I opened account with them 6 days ago, so hopefully they're secure now, and at worst all they get is my junk email address and vids of cats on my porch. I bought thru Amazon so that should be ok.
    There's rumors of folding because of lawsuits etc.
    If they go away I can still monitor the cam with other apps and it was only $25, but I hope it'll be ok and want to get the new stuff anyway..
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 01-21-2020 at 12:02 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    wyze men say,
    only fools rush in (and out of bond's driveway),
    but I can't help,
    failing to secure your personalimformation.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post: