Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 8,973 Times in 1,682 Posts
    just seen this one doing the rounds, supposedly from an article in a local newspaper .....

a man from augusta, georgia, was observed trying to steal a laptop from a best buy store - when confronted, he pulled a knife and tried to make a run for it

outside the store, 4 marines were collecting for charity when the chap tried to make his escape - they attempted to apprehend the miscreant, who was having none of it and stabbed one of the marines, although not seriously

police arrived at the scene, along with an ambulance, and the injured marine was taken for treatment

of the guy with the knife, the final paragraph of the piece reads as follows:

"the subject was also transported to the local hospital with 2 broken arms, a broken ankle, a broken leg, several missing teeth, possible broken ribs, multiple contusions, assorted lacerations, a broken nose and a broken jaw ..... injuries he sustained when he slipped and fell off the curb after stabbing the marine, according to a police report"

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    has london's folly finally been confirmed?

the cost of hosting the 2012 olympic games spiralled to some £25 billion, a figure which contrasted against the calculated direct benefit to the total uk economy of around £10 billion - no surprise there as very few modern olympics have resulted in a net profit for the host nation - but the spin doctors pointed to the legacy the games would leave of a nation increasingly interested in taking up organized sports and becoming fitter

yesterday, a report was published by sport england that showed the number of britons enjoying organized sports has fallen by 400,000 since 2012 - that's still an increase because the figures from an earlier report suggested 750,000 had taken up sports as a direct result, but even that was well below the government's target

the upshot is that the uk has seemingly spent £15billion on getting 350,000 people to take up sport on a regular basis - the global economy could play a large part in that, but does it really represent good money management?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,944 Times in 1,227 Posts

US gas at the pump $1/gallon or even less?

Code:
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/18/investing/oil-prices-15-kotok/index.html
    With the nuke agreement, Iran is set to soon flood the market with oil they have sitting everywhere; but they need higher prices to make a profit on it.
    Saudi Arabia, Iran's enemy, may just flood the market too because they can weather years of low, low prices which would thwart Iran and hurt US shale oil, double win for them.
    China is in a slowdown and winter is coming on.

Glut time.

While hurting the US in several ways, I can't wait to pull into the gas station and see $0.89 on the sign.

Makes me wish I still had my '70 Chevelle SS396, 10mpg, but all 10 miles lots of fun.

Party like it's 1999!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Yep, its insanity that keeps me sane, Kinda DukeDutchy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,140 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Good news: I'm back!

https://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc
    ........................"It's insanity that keeps me sane" -DD-........................

............Spero vestri pilosus scrotum puter ut vestri mulier pulsatus is!............

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DukeDutchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    in the u.k. town of chester, the local council are said to be "not amused" by a series of plaques attached to park/street benches around the town

rather than being official plaques (such as "this bench is sponsored by ...", etc.), some enterprising prankster has been attaching his/her own inventions, beautifully presented on official looking metal plate

examples of their handywork include:

"this bench is dedicated to the men who lost the will to live whilst following their partners around the shoe shops of chester"

"this bench is reserved for the young, beautiful and affluent - if you are old, ugly or poor, please sit elsewhere"

"if you shut your eyes for more than 10 seconds whilst on this bench, you may be deemed asleep and risk facing an asbo (a civil warning given to people who disrupt public order) - by order of public space protection orders under the anti-social behavious, crime and policing act, 2014"

"please do not sit here - this is not a bench - it is an art installation by the artist s. sosva"

ssosva, the secret society of super villain artists, is a lighthearted, (not very) anonymous art movement, that seems to be centred around drinking, taking the piss and having a laugh - think banksy, with a can of special brew in his free hand

according to their facebook page, this bench stunt seems to be part of a campaign to raise awareness of homelessness in what i presume is their hometown area

good work, fella

Last edited by sp88; 10-20-2015 at 01:03 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    news comes from a school in derbyshire, u.k., of a seriously overweight 12 year old girl who was sent a copy of the script for the school christmas play, "charlie and the chocolate factory", with her initials next to the character of the chubby augustus gloop as a casting suggestion

her mother is quoted as saying "for them to do this is absolutely disgusting - the teachers have typecast her because of her size - it’s appalling - she was really worried she would have to perform in front of hundreds of pupils"

well, don't worry, kid - taking the role isn't compulsory so you won't have to stand up in front of a couple of hundred people

thanks to your mum talking to the press tho, you'll have to deal with the knowledge that thousands upon thousands of total strangers are now aware of your embarrassment via the printed page and the internet

excellent parenting, fucknut

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Having never had cable tv, I haven't seen some good stuff as it was originally airing.

Now, having Amazon Prime, I find a series people have told me is one of the best, The Sopranos, is free to watch.

I'm going to watch episode 3 now, it's good stuff! Envy me.

After this I'll think about another apparently good series, Breaking Bad. Filmed in my town, close to where I live, and I never saw an episode of it.

That one I'd have to pay for, though; a dollar or two per episode.

Question: In my position, would you pay to see it? Is it that good?
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 11-16-2015 at 10:55 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,598 Times in 6,807 Posts
    I don't know if I would pay to see it with so many filehost options around.
    If I had quicker upload speed, I'd uploaded the 5 seasons of 480p episodes I have but it would take me a month to do it. Sorry.

P.S. I inherently have issues with a per episode price tag on streaming TV.
    If it's like Netflix where you pay for a total experience, that's one thing but fuck 'em if it's per episode.
    I hope the greedy fuckers pushing their old shows get sphincter rot.

P.S.S. I believe I may have killed the Good News vibe in this thread.
    Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

"My past has not defined me, destroyed me, deterred me, or defeated me...it has only strengthened me."

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I don't know if I would pay to see it with so many filehost options around.
    Damn. Snap. I just got an Amazon Fire tablet, it's pretty cool with Prime and I'm all in on it right now.. It is, however, really Amazon centric and I guess I thought for a minute getting BB thru Amazon was my only option; that thing has me brainwashed! It's diabolical. Of course I'll pirate it. Pay for something? What was I thinking?
    Thanks for bringing me back, they almost got me.

I don't look forward to that download, though, ugh.
    I'm streaming Sopranos and that works fine, somehow streaming as you go (when it's free) sounds easier than downloading all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    P.S.S. I believe I may have killed the Good News vibe in this thread.
    Nah. The Sopranos rocks, Gandolfini is awesome. It's hilarious, the shrink is hot, the plot twists kill me and the occasional strippers are a nice touch. I'm hooked.
    I stayed up too late last night watching it, and doing the same now. I'm on season 1 episode 6. Gotta go

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,598 Times in 6,807 Posts
    You reminded me that the mother in law switched from DirecTV to dish and when she did she got a year of Netflix that I just remembered to sign up for.
    Her internet is too slow for it, so she gave it to us.
    Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

"My past has not defined me, destroyed me, deterred me, or defeated me...it has only strengthened me."

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: