Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: The Good News Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 16,342 Times in 3,041 Posts
    Reach is hella fun and I'm really enjoying it. There's also the other 2 Halo games now waiting for me to play, plus 3 more new games coming this year.
    I pass by my computer in the dining room as I go about my daily business, and I hear it calling to me

"Bond......Bond....come play with me...you know you want to....forget life, you don't need life......just come play..."

My eyes glaze over and I take one wooden step towards it...another...

But no I have too much to do especially now and I'm limiting my playing time to an hour or two at night, maybe more on weekends. It sucks being an adult, and when tf did that happen?

But now is the time so off I go

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've gone through shit in the last 2 weeks you wouldn't believe if I wrote it all out here, I decided not to. But what a tale it is. Life and death, high pressure decisions, desperate down to the wire struggle to get it done, it's been fking incredible with new shit hitting me every day.
    I am now through to the other side and know I was right to stick to my guns and pull it through. It is now ok.

I rock

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My mom is back home now and doing ok.

*Edited the part where I sound like a douche.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 07-18-2020 at 03:22 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 302,475 Times in 9,883 Posts
    ^

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,688 Times in 11,503 Posts
    School tentatively started back here online today.

They are/were going to provide devices for kids who might not have them, but the kid has my laptop now. (I know the security on it is safe, unlike some random device I don't know)

The schools are broadcasting a WiFi signal (T-Mobile hotspots within range) for those without internet but he's on the house internet so it's fine.

It may be online but the kid's enjoying the structure of it, and I'm keeping an eyeball on him while he's doing it, so he'll take it seriously.

Internet security seems to be adequate, one of his favorite teachers was on there for a while today
    and there were several breaks during the day for stretching, bathroom breaks and lunch.

My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Baby hair with a woman's eyes, I can feel you watching in the night..
    All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight, when I feel cold you warm me...
    When I feel I can't go on you come and hold me, it's you and me forever...

Sara Smile, won't you smile a while for me?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bond goes smartphone

My 12+ year-old clamshell phone, while still working - true soldier that he is - has fallen victim to marching technology as they phase out 3g and is steadily losing signal to the point that for 2 weeks now when it rang in my house I'd have to run out into the backyard to have enough reception to take a call. For the last 5-6 days I've actually had to get in the car and drive toward the nearest cell tower to make calls. Then it would work just fine. My prior pre-pay carrier, Verizon, is ending 3g service this year and I guess they're shutting things down.
    Imagine having to do that to use your phone, it's maddening.

So I ran down to Walgreens and grabbed this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Jour.../dp/B07Y5T9X4P

40 bucks and it's.fucking.great. -
    4G LTE is crystal clear wherever I am it's such a relief to finally have this I can't explain it. Kept my old number too
    $20 a month for unlimited calls and texts, with Verizon I paid 30 cents a minute for talk and 10 cents per text and had to rigidly limit it and avoid being put on hold, now I can just blab to everybody all month.
    Smartphone snobs will turn their nose up at this lower-end 3-year old phone but it's my first smartphone and all the new abilities are just wonderment to me; it's already tied into my security cams so I can now see who's breaking into my house from wherever I am, and more stuff on and on as I go through the user manual and learn more; it's too cool

I should have done this long ago, but you can't dwell on those things because down that road lies madness
    I'm very happy with this and it's good news, I can use some of that right now.

Oh, and Fuck Verizon too good riddance
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 11-22-2020 at 02:23 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm glad for you but they'll take my flip phone from my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    Smartphone snobs will turn their nose up at this lower-end 3-year old phone
    You paid for it and if they don't like it...tell them to go self-copulate.

All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight, when I feel cold you warm me...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 713 Posts
    Looks like prepaid plans are getting cheaper!!!!!!!!!
    T-mobile is probably the best option out there offering unlimited talk/text with at least 2 GB of 4G LTE data. It's around $15/month. There's no reason to be on a postpaid plan unless you're a heavy data user on a "grandfathered" plan.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poisonous Fungus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I'm glad for you but they'll take my flip phone from my cold dead hands.
    I will miss the clamshell for it's tiny size and toughness, this will be more of a pita to carry around and a lot more breakable, but it fits in my pants pocket fine and I think it'll work.
    A case for it comes tomorrow and I'll maybe get a screen protector for it too.
    I will not carry the damn thing around in my hand like the legions of gormless automatons you see around.
    I will use it though, the camera will be fun as I can now get not-too-crummy pics and vids, and transfer them to my computer, which I could not do before. You guys would get a kick out of pics of the crap that I eat, on paper plates. Maybe I'll become a youtube star; it strikes me that just chronicling my life with the ridiculous stuff I go through could well be one of those unintentionally hilarious hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonous Fungus View Post
    Looks like prepaid plans are getting cheaper!!!!!!!!!
    T-mobile is probably the best option out there offering unlimited talk/text with at least 2 GB of 4G LTE data. It's around $15/month.
    That would have been better. This was the only one they had at Walgreens when I went and I wasn't going anywhere else with the lockdown just re-imposed here.
    It turns out to be just about exactly what I wanted somehow, and I think I'm lucky to have snagged it

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I refuse to text. I just draw the line there and everyone I know with a smart phone eventually turns into a zombie anyway,
    to the point of failure to even hold a coherent conversation with some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    I will not carry the damn thing around in my hand like the legions of gormless automatons you see around.
    I've heard this all before. Smart phones are like crack.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: