Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken News

Thanks
    Thanked 36,398 Times in 6,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianwp View Post
    Hey, assholes...everybody gets old. That don't mean it's the end.
    Well, as Arnie's current movie has made about $1.95, maybe it is...

Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

"My past has not defined me, destroyed me, deterred me, or defeated me...it has only strengthened me."

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Busty Lady Lover Holographic Universe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 642 Posts
    Come on now... the fact a bunch of y'all are really old ain't news to anyone paying attention...

Focus your curmudgeonly grousing at this story...

Americans regularly fork over $5,000 to fix a crooked smile with braces. But in Japan, women are spending about $400 for just the opposite. On the other side of the planet, imperfect teeth are becoming a thing of beauty.

Japan's beauty trend, dubbed "tseuke-yaeba," has reached a fever pitch, with young women paying hundreds for snaggleteeth.

Bagelheads: Shocking New Trend in Japan

The procedure first made headlines in 2011, but it has grown in popularity since then, even spawning a Japanese pop girl group whose members sport the snaggletooth look. The girl group, TYB48 or "Tseuke-Yaeba 48," was created by the Taro Masuoka—the very same dentist who pioneered the procedure.

"A lot of my patients are fashion-conscious and very cute. I wanted to find some way to take advantage of this, so I formed TYB48," Masuoka, of Tokyo's Pure Cure dental salon, told Japan Today.

The group whose debut album titled "Mind If I Bite?" dropped last April, turned the child-like vampire mouth into a bona-fide phenomenon. But they're far from Japan's first famous females with mangled mouths. See the smiles on the country's popular news anchor Mika Sugisaki and Japan's crown princess Masako.

[The trend may seems out of step with American dentistry, but in Japan—where fashion trends often take their cue from child-like physical attributes—it's a thing of beauty. Masuoka claims the snaggletooth look gives his patients an "impish beauty" that is considered "endearingly attractive" to men. He's even reportedly offered middle school and high-school aged patients a half-price discount on the procedure if they bring identification. (The procedure, which can be temporary or permanent, involves cementing exaggerated veneers onto each canine tooth.)

Roland Kelts, author of the book Japan America, theorizes the rise of the "impish" mouth may have a psychological link. "The 'girl next door' look of accessibility and plainness is especially popular in Japan right now partly, I think, because Japanese men feel so weak in the face of a stagnant economy and fast-shifting gender roles," Kelts told Yahoo! Shine. "Marriage and birth rates in Japan are at historic lows. A too-perfect set of teeth, or anything else, can be intimidating when your role in society is imperiled."

Shifting gender roles and a growing insecurity of men in the workplace? Sounds familiar. If that's partly behind the snaggletooth trend in Japan, could twisted dental implants make their way to the United States any time soon?

Detail of the snaggletooth look. photo: Facebook"Gain popularity in US? No!" Dr. Jacqueline Fulop Goodling, a New York-based orthodontist, tells Shine. "Americans have spent billions of dollars educating ourselves on the effects of good oral hygiene... We care about the way our teeth look but we care more about if they are healthy."

Dr. Michael Sinkin, a Manhattan dentist, agrees that it's a cultural difference that has little chance of translating overseas. "When someone goes for cosmetic dentistry, some people want something perfect—'chiclet teeth.' Other people want a natural look. Culturally, that can vary. It's almost like a fashion statement," he told Shine. "I had a Japanese patient once who came in for some work and she was unhappy with the result, because she felt they looked too American, too perfect."

And, according to Dr. Joseph Banker, a cosmetic dentist from Creative Dental Care, the health risks just aren't worth it. "Although the procedure may seem non-invasive, the underlying teeth can be damaged in several ways. The additional length may cause stress on the teeth and can increase the risk of a tooth fracture." Messing with front canines in particular can lead to jaw problems, tooth decay and bacteria build-up, he says.

In the U.S., extreme cosmetic dentistry veers largely on the side of symmetry. "People come in and want well-aligned, perfectly white teeth with beautiful digital contours; they want a beautiful smile, beautiful facial aesthetics," Dr. Mark Yanosky, an orthodontist in Birmingham, Alabama, told the L.A. Times last year. It's become more than just straight teeth—he calls the approach "smile aesthetics."

According to a 2012 study by the University of Texas, 40% of people said they wouldn't date a person with crooked teeth, and 73% said that people with straight teeth are trustworthier.

But "trustworthy" doesn't always account for sex appeal. Consider some of our own snaggle-tooth trendsetters: actresses like Kirsten Dunst, Anna Paquin and the vampire-hunks of Twilight. Uneven front teeth may also account for some music fans in the states. "Gotye has made me realize that I have a crush on crooked teeth," wrote one XOJane blogger. "Those chompers seriously give me shivers of pleasure."

We can skip the dental work—who needs to pay for bad teeth when you've already got them? But maybe Japan's tseuke-yaeba movement will encourage us to embrace our natural selves, snaggletooth and all.
    Signs will arrive tonight
    Guiding light decrease my pain
    That I created on my own

Blind be my eyes tonight
    Hide the sight that sees in vain
    Before and after is all done

And everything is in time gone

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Holographic Universe For This Useful Post:

Busty Lady Lover Holographic Universe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,898 Times in 642 Posts

Richard III to pick up where he left off
    THE skeleton of Richard III has vowed to re-boot the Wars of the Roses and slaughter his rivals to the throne.

The exhumed king said he was delighted to be back before pledging ‘a torrent of Lancastrian blood that will turn the mill-wheels of Preston’.

He added: “I want to check out the Leicester restaurant scene, catch up on some paperwork and then disembowel all those who would deny my claim.

“I have also ordered a horse off the internet.”

The last king of the House of York revealed that having a curved spine and a club foot is a lot easier to cope with when you are just a skeleton.

“The hunchback was mostly fat. Now it’s gone I’m very nimble. But I am still really angry, so I guess it wasn’t all about the hump.

“I’ve read a couple of articles saying that I was actually quite nice and that Shakespeare was unfair.

“He wasn’t. I am fucked up and I am coming to get your children.” "Also, I have no organs and am invincible."

Jane Thomson, from Stevenage, said: “Excellent. I was hoping this would activate some ancient curse that would wipe out half the country.”

Richard III added: “My friend Dan Snow tells me you are now ruled by Germans. We shall see about that.”

Code:
    http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/4730/20130204/king-richard-iii-discovered-england-dna-testing.htm
    Signs will arrive tonight
    Guiding light decrease my pain
    That I created on my own

Blind be my eyes tonight
    Hide the sight that sees in vain
    Before and after is all done

And everything is in time gone

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Holographic Universe For This Useful Post:

Dork Lord of the Sith DarthTater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Lol. Good one.

Makes me want to watch Black Adder again.
    ---------------------------------------------
    "There's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light.
    In the fine print they tell me what's wrong from what's right.
    It comes in Black and it comes in White and I'm frightened
    by those who don't see it."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DarthTater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow.

Mom arrested for busting out a gun in fight at Chuck E. Cheese

http://now.msn.com/chuck-e-cheese-ar...other-with-gun

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DarthTater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not guilty by reason of .....stupidity?

On Thursday, the lawyer for former Mayor Oscar Hernandez said his unschooled and illiterate client had no training that would have alerted him that his salary was illegal.

Hernandez didn't have a college or high school degree and didn't even finish elementary school, defense attorney Stanley Friedman said.

Hernandez was earning just under $100,000 a year for the part-time job.

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/a...oestojury.html

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DarthTater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dog shoots man.

Police in Sebring, Florida say a man told them that his dog accidentally shot him in the leg with a gun that he thought was unloaded.

“Sebring Police Cmdr. Steve Carr said police did not arrest the dog or detain the animal, pending the investigation,” according to Highlands Today. The police spokesperson said this was the first case of “dog shoots man” than he had ever come across.

The 35-year-old shooting victim had insisted to police that he believed no bullets were in the gun.

Lanier was traveling on State Road 17 North “when his dog kicked his unloaded .380 pistol causing it to fire and the bullet struck his leg. Lanier said he heard boom, saw smoke and felt a burning in his leg,” the police report said.

The man told police that he was shocked to find out that the gun was loaded and that it was a 9mm pistol, instead of a .380 handgun.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/2...-unloaded-gun/

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DarthTater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this is why I hate living in florida, all the god damn crazies live here.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Suzy For This Useful Post:

Yep, its insanity that keeps me sane, Kinda DukeDutchy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,193 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    this is why I hate living in florida, all the god damn crazies live here.
    ..... replace 'hate' with 'love' & 'Florida' with 'Dutchyland' and I feel the exact same.
    Oh wait....

Thats not the same, now is it?
    hmmmmmmm *looks lost*
    ........................"It's insanity that keeps me sane" -DD-........................

............Spero vestri pilosus scrotum puter ut vestri mulier pulsatus is!............

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DukeDutchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeDutchy View Post
    ..... replace 'hate' with 'love' & 'Florida' with 'Dutchyland' and I feel the exact same.
    Oh wait....

Thats not the same, now is it?
    hmmmmmmm *looks lost*
    where the heck is dutchyland? is it like disneyland, cause if so, i wanna go,
    Once I went outside, the game play was awesome but the graphics sucked.
    Must have brainz to survive.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzy For This Useful Post: