Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Brexit triggered - The Brexit plan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 313 Posts
    Another update, I guess.

I am curious to know how badly COVID-19 will hit the economy. It was already agreed by both sides that leaving the EU would bring the economy down. This, of course, is much worse. It's so absurdly bad that a lot of groups and people are not comparing 2020 to the Great Recession (2008) or the Great Depression (1930s) - they are comparing it to the Great Frost of 1709. Literally 300 years ago. Literally.

In 1709, George II was the King of Great Britain and King of Ireland. (George III hadn't even been born yet, who would oversee the creation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.) The last three of the Thirteen Colonies hadn't officially became royal colonies yet (the Carolinas and Georgia).

Code:
    https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/1709-what-happened-uk-economy-recession-slump-coronavirus-lockdown-forecast-418713
    It really blows my mind that the yardstick is 311 years ago for how bad it might get.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,213 Times in 3,007 Posts
    It could be that bad, but I'm hopeful. Lots of business is hurting and going under, but will come back when we can open up, whenever that is. There will be tremendous need for the stuff we've all been missing, and we'll bounce back. Watch.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 301,651 Times in 9,860 Posts
    Don't worry, it will be fine.
    Boris says it will all be back to normal by Christmas

Hmmmm

To be fair to Boris, he didn't say which Christmas

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,038 Times in 348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    Don't worry, it will be fine.
    Boris says it will all be back to normal by Christmas

Hmmmm

To be fair to Boris, he didn't say which Christmas
    You can put your trust in Boris.
    He has no track record of making false promises or political statements that have no basis in reality.
    He is a man of principle and as long as you tell him which principles you would vote for, those are the ones he holds dear today.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    You can put your trust in Boris.
    He has no track record of making false promises or political statements that have no basis in reality.
    He is a man of principle and as long as you tell him which principles you would vote for, those are the ones he holds dear today.
    Uh. I'm really, really sorry, but I can't tell if you're being genuine or not (the last line suggests a bit of tongue-in-cheek, still not sure). When it was Theresa May's turn, one of her proposals to avoid the backstop problem would have required treating Northern Ireland differently than England/Wales/Scotland. Boris said that was a nonstarter, that all four countries had to be treated equally. But when it was his turn, that was exactly the proposal he accepted. He claims there will be extra checks and all to make it frictionless, but that kind of customs system has never been done before.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^I expect Arbiec's tongue was very firmly in cheek.

As for Boris, nobody on this island of Ireland trusts him to follow through on anything that he has agreed or committed to. Like a certain politician on the other side of the pond, he may mean it when he says it, but will happily deny ever saying it, if and when it suits.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Uh. I'm really, really sorry, but I can't tell if you're being genuine or not (the last line suggests a bit of tongue-in-cheek, still not sure). When it was Theresa May's turn, one of her proposals to avoid the backstop problem would have required treating Northern Ireland differently than England/Wales/Scotland. Boris said that was a nonstarter, that all four countries had to be treated equally. But when it was his turn, that was exactly the proposal he accepted. He claims there will be extra checks and all to make it frictionless, but that kind of customs system has never been done before.
    Definitely tongue in cheek!
    I have a lack of trust for any politician but Boris takes the prize for snakiest snake in the snake pit.
    No morals, no principles, no respect for the people he is meant to lead.
    I weep for the damage that he and his cronies have done to my country in the last four years.
    Brexit has and will continue to damage all the member states of Europe, which in my view makes the world a less safe place.
    For the UK, it is suicide, the EU will eventually recover and prosper, I fear that the UK never will.

Our unique selling point as an international investment for business was that we were a liberal capitalist economy right next to Europe with unfettered trading access to a massive marketplace.
    Now all we will be able to say is that we are an island adajcent to Europe but we would prefer to try to strike less favourable deals with anyone else in the world to avoid acknowledging how important Europe is to us.

What pains me most is that Boris dosen't even really believe in Brexit, it was just a stepping stone to power.
    Ireland (and the rest of Europe) is right not to trust him, he makes politically expedient speaches, promises thiings he has no intention and no practical way of delivering and just like Trump he thinks that a lie told often enough is the same as the truth.

So in summary, not a big Boris fan

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,264 Times in 2,884 Posts
    that tongue was so far in cheek, i'm surprised arbiec doesn't have a gaping hole where his cheek used to be .....

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    UK government finally revealed its negotiation position with the EU by publishing legislation that unpicks a previous international agreement they signed with the EU only last year. A government Minister was quick to acknowledge that it was contrary to international law! And Boris, Gove, et al are defending it.

To be fair to them, at least they came clean with 3 months to go. Trust is completely destroyed and it looks very much as if the UK side has no interest in a deal. Difficult to see the EU agreeing to anything the UK proposes at this stage. Which creates a huge problem for Northern Ireland, will do serious damage to Ireland, and will disrupt all trade in and out of the UK. Oh, and the chances of a US trade deal will be zero if Biden is elected. Nice work, guys.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't particularly care if it is "just a negotiating tactic" as Boris and his cronies have been all over media claiming it to be.
    It's shaming for us as a nation to sign a treaty into law and then try to illegally reneg on it.

There are lots of problems with the withdrawal deal but they are not the fault of the EU; Boris had his "Get Brexit done" slogan to live up to and the deal was bodged and rammed through without enough time or scrutiny.
    He didn't understand it when he signed it and he doesn't like it now he understands it a bit better.

It is a betrayal of people on both sides of the Irish border, a betrayal of our much vaunted "British Values"
    I especially liked the way they said they were going to break international law but it was okay becasue they are only going to do it in a "limited and specific way"
    So now I have been told it is okay, I plan to rob the bank tomorrow which is technically against the law but my loophole is that I am going to limit myself to stealing some of the money - specifically just the £20 notes.
    I'm not sure if the judge will buy in to my defence though.

If Boris continues this way, we will be out of the EU and an international pariah nation.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post: