Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Brexit triggered - The Brexit plan

Thanks
    Thanked 285,455 Times in 9,394 Posts
    At this stage it is difficult to see how they can move forward constructively. A hard Brexit would be very costly, in many ways and for a long time. A soft Brexit seems out of reach in the Commons. No Brexit would divide the country for a generation. And a general election would probably result in a hung Parliament.
    Pity there aren't any good leaders at the top of the two main parties...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

All I wanted was a Pepsi Frosty's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,084 Times in 10,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Lhere's no doubt that it's easy criticize May's handling of the affair, but then try to imagine charting a course that would please both sides...
    At this point, if I were her...I'd absolutely quit and go home, have a cup of tea, kick my feet up on the table and watch the shit show.
    Every side in this wants things absolutely their way and they aren't going to agree with anyone else.

Mind you, our side would be doing the same thing.
    Y'all better get ready for your Hard Brexit.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

This is not the greatest sig in the world, no...
    This is just a tribute...
    Couldn't remember the greatest sig in the world, no, no..
    This is a tribute, oh...

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 285,455 Times in 9,394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Y'all better get ready for your Hard Brexit.
    But, wait! Just when you think it's hopeless, Theresa announces another means of getting her deal passed by the Commons - talk to Jeremy (leader of the main opposition party) to see if they can agree anything, as long as it includes her deal (that won't work). If that doesn't work, try to get indicative votes "on the future relationship with the EU" to pass something; then, put her deal to the Commons again.
    I notice one small (or very large) wrinkle - this stage of the process is about leaving, not about the future relationship. That is for the next stage of negotiations, if they leave with a deal.
    <scratches head>
    Not sure this is going to solve the impasse

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 228 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    But, wait! Just when you think it's hopeless, Theresa announces another means of getting her deal passed by the Commons - talk to Jeremy (leader of the main opposition party) to see if they can agree anything, as long as it includes her deal (that won't work). If that doesn't work, try to get indicative votes "on the future relationship with the EU" to pass something; then, put her deal to the Commons again.
    I notice one small (or very large) wrinkle - this stage of the process is about leaving, not about the future relationship. That is for the next stage of negotiations, if they leave with a deal.
    <scratches head>
    Not sure this is going to solve the impasse
    I'm not even sure they want a solution at this point.
    The Conservatives seem to want someone to blame when everything goes bang! Todays announcement seems like a ploy so that they can blame Labour if the UK crashes out with out a deal. Like you, I can't see any way that Labour or the DUP will now suddenly vote for Theresa's deal and trust her that she will keep her word about the future arrangements part of things.

What a mess!

Labour on the other hand seem to take the view that it would be "better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven". They don't seem that bothered if we crash out and suffer economic disaster as long as there is an election and they get into power.
    Last edited by Arbiec; 04-02-2019 at 04:11 PM.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

All I wanted was a Pepsi Frosty's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,084 Times in 10,252 Posts
    I do think that whenever and however this is resolved, you all should get together and beat David Cameron to death, just on pure principle.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

This is not the greatest sig in the world, no...
    This is just a tribute...
    Couldn't remember the greatest sig in the world, no, no..
    This is a tribute, oh...

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,331 Times in 2,697 Posts
    ^ we were planning that long before anyone had heard of brexit anyway

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 228 Posts
    Government - Do you want a blowjob, Yes or No?
    Electorate - Yes please!

Government - We did out best but the only blowjob we could get you is from a Piranha
    Electorate - I am not sure about this anymore

Government - You can't change your mind now! blowjob means blowjob.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^ i always thought that joke would have been more apt had the government replied "we did our best but we can't deliver the blowjob you wanted because having the necessary rib removed wasn't feasible after all"

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,893 Times in 255 Posts
    Well, it's been three months.

Conservative and Labour got shellacked in local elections. Liberal Dems seem to have gotten some swagger back after being just about completely swept out of power in 2015 (with Cameron's gamble of promising the in-out referendum leading to ditching the coalition). Farrange's Brexit Party took a bunch of seats in the European Parliament elections.

Theresa May is stepping aside, and it's between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for the next PM.

On a personal level, while Labour's idea of having another customs union with the EU sounded pretty bad, the idea that the UK would be better with no deal at all rankles as even worse. It reminds me of the first Austin Powers movie, where Number Two says, "But you, like an idiot, want to take over the world. And you don't realize there is no world anymore! It's only corporations!"
    Last edited by Persephone; 07-21-2019 at 01:23 AM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the united kingston ..... sorry, kingdom ..... has a new man in the chair - boris johnson has won the party vote to be the new conservative leader and, by extension, britain's new prime minister

naturally, this won't be for very long tho

when tony blair resigned mid-term, leaving the way open for gordon brown to take over, johnson was very vocal about brown's ascension

"itís the arrogance - itís the contempt - thatís what gets me - itís gordon brownís apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the british people - they voted for anthony charles lynton blair to serve as their leader - they were at no stage invited to vote on whether gordon brown should be prime minister - it is a scandal - no-one elected gordon brown as prime minister - letís have an election without delay"

it seems only logical then that johnson will be declaring a general election as soon as possible, rather than rumbling on until 2022 without a mandate from the british people

i'm not saying it won't happen - johnson has always been a surprising figure (just ask maurizio gaudino )

we'll just have to wait and see how that works out .....

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post: