Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Brexit triggered - The Brexit plan

Thanks
    Thanked 268,031 Times in 8,912 Posts
    A short extension to enact legislation and ratify the treaty would almost certainly be granted; maybe 2 or 3 months. There is no upside in an EU member objecting.
    A longer extension would be tricky. The UK would have to make a very, very good case to persuade the 27 that it made sense. And, some might be looking for something in return. Could get very tricky.

Note, that my "friend" Nigel Farage is actively lobbying EU governments to refuse an extension to Article 50. That man has a lot to answer for and will probably never be held to account.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    A short extension to enact legislation and ratify the treaty would almost certainly be granted; maybe 2 or 3 months. There is no upside in an EU member objecting.
    A longer extension would be tricky. The UK would have to make a very, very good case to persuade the 27 that it made sense. And, some might be looking for something in return. Could get very tricky.

Note, that my "friend" Nigel Farage is actively lobbying EU governments to refuse an extension to Article 50. That man has a lot to answer for and will probably never be held to account.
    I've been reading that an extension before European Parliament elections in May could be agreed upon, or maybe even end of June, before the new parliament seats its members. Anything longer than that isn't really being considered seriously since neither UK party really wants to contest those elections if they're quitting the EU, but if they're still in the EU by that time, they have to contest them.

I know Farage triumphantly left the UKIP shortly after the 2016 referendum, so the notion that he wants to get back into politics to make sure Brexit happens is funny.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Yeah, I really don't see all 27 nations unanimously agreeing to an extension. This is squarely on the "Leave" faction of the Conservative Party throwing a tantrum about the terms and trying to use the threat of "No Deal" to wring more concessions from the EU. I hope the EU doesn't cave in. "Leave" was built on a number of lies and deceptions that are starting to unravel now. I'm not saying that there should be a "do-over referendum," but someone's going to have to answer for the inanity of lies and half-truths that swayed 17 million people to vote to leave.

Just as an example, some fishing communities voted to "leave" because they believed they could get better fishing limits/rights, but in the Brexit agreement, the UK agreed to honor the EU limits for at least two years. I'm almost certain that they wouldn't vote leave now knowing that.
    In a bizzare way, the leavers are actually right to vote against the Theresa May deal but for the wrong reasons.
    The deal she agreed leaves the UK in a worse position than if we stay in. It means we lose almost all of the great parts of being a member with no chance of any of the benefits the Leavers promised to get people to vote for them. We will still pay the EU a lot of money (No £350 Million coming back to the NHS), we won't be able to enter into trade deals with other nations (not that they have had any success lining any trade deals up to sign). We lose all influence on EU rules but still have to abide by them.

No deal is a crazy option and 'the deal' is terrible when compared to staying in the EU.
    The ERG Leavers in the Conservatives want No Deal because it allows them to rip up EU standards and try to turn back the clock to a Victorian Britain - When we had an empire of slaves... sorry meant to say colonies and when we were wealthy... or at least the people at the top were and the poor were kept in workhouses (bloody scroungers)

May wants to keep 'No Deal' alive because compared to that any deal is better. If she can keep it up for another week, there is a good chance that at the third attempt her deal will get voted through.

I do find it ironic that we keep being told it is undemocratic to have a second referendum and that votes should be respected when we are looking at a third and if needed a fourth vote to try to get the Theresa May deal through.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ironically, it is now the Brexiteers who are on the defensive. They know that a long extension of Article 50 brings the risk of a softer Brexit, or even no Brexit at all. They have a real decision to make on the existing deal - hold their noses and vote for it (at least it is Brexit); or vote against it and risk the entire Brexit dream. Don't you just love payback?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright, so a couple of days after the Speaker John Bercow, who said that he couldn't bring the third attempt to vote on May's Brexit deal unless there was anything of substantial change...

...the EU says they'll extend the deadline to May 22...if the MPs pass the plan. Otherwise, it's only extended to April 12.

I'm honestly not feeling that 100 MPs or so are changing their vote to "yes," but hey, I'm pretty sure if this was normal times, Theresa May would have resigned about five crises ago.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 209 Posts
    The petition to Revoke Article 50 and Remain in The EU on the UK Government website is now up to Over 3.86 Million people.
    That is nearly 9% of the eligible voters in the UK.

That is not just asking for a second referendum to express their view, that is the amount of people who want it stopped outright.
    Maybe if the number gets over 17.4 Million by next week they will stop telling us that Brexit is the will of the people and realise that the electorate have a right to change their minds.

If you are a UK registered voter and you want to add your voice to the call to halt the Brexit train, go along and add your vote. The magic number for them to consider a debate on the petition was 100,000 so the Governement should at least be aware of the growing swell of 'scrap the whole thing' opinion.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Brexit grinds on as the clock ticks. Yesterday was an interesting day in the House of Commons.

Firstly, it was the day that MP's took control of the agenda (against the wishes of the Government). It has happened before, but not for over a century. These was a debate and voting on a variety of Bexit options - 8 of them in all. They voted on a ballot paper (yes, real paper from dead trees). The result was that they rejected all 8 options. However, two of them were fairly narrow, so maybe some hope there. (probably not).

Secondly, the Speaker, John Bercow, issued a "clarification" of his ruling that the Government could not bring its deal with the EU to the House again without substantive changes. He further ruled that they could not use some procedural gimmicks to get around his original ruling. Cue outrage over an activist speaker. Not sure if that is warranted, but his intervention was curious, at this stage. Appartently, there are ways that it can be brought to a vote again.

Thirdly, at a meeting of a Tory party committee, Theresa May offered to resign if her deal (with the EU) was passed. There had been speculation that she might do this, but when it happened there was some surprise. Some Tory MPs did change their minds as a result, but it's not clear if she has the votes to pass the deal (on the third attempt). The DUP (Northern Ireland's ostriches) were unmoved and will vote against, again and again, and again.

All this as the deadline approaches. Tomorrow (29th) is the deadline for approving the deal, in which case the UK leaves the EU on May 22nd. If the deal is not approved by tomorrow, the UK leaves without a deal on April 12th.
    Squeaky bum time.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 48,488 Times in 9,827 Posts
    I'm sure I could have put this in the cat mania thread but it seemed more appropriate here.

My apologies if someone has previously posted it and I missed it.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"I swear I didn't know that .45 was loaded...
    In fact my memory ain't too clear...
    That's not to say she didn't get what she deserved...
    Least that's the way it looked from here..."

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And on it goes...
    Once more, the House of Commons took control of the agenda from the Government and had a chance to vote on 4 options. Once more they rejected them all. They're running out of road - rapidly.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    LOL what is even going on now...what is this...this is such a complete mockery. A few days ago they voted on eight motions and none of them had a majority...today they had four motions and again none of them had a majority...

The only thing that would create more chaos would be a general election. Corbyn already tabled a motion, which failed, but I'm not even sure if he would want to lead Brexit, as Labour also has a sizable number of people who want to leave, making it hard for him to stake out a secure position. There's no doubt that it's easy criticize May's handling of the affair, but then try to imagine charting a course that would please both sides...

The Tories can't challenge her again until December, while the Queen no longer has the power to dissolve Parliament...

I shit you not this looks and sounds like the dystopia world of V for Vendetta. Except instead of water poisoning there's Brexit.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post: