Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit triggered - The Brexit plan

Thanks
    Thanked 267,785 Times in 8,904 Posts
    Government defeated by 149 votes. So now they move on to the vote on "no deal" tomorrow. The Tories are giving their MP's a free vote i.e. not telling them how they should vote.

So, that is the end of the beginning of the middle. Confused? So is everyone else. What a fucking mess! (Am I allowed to swear?)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,694 Times in 2,561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toto View Post
    this is looking pretty hollow of a sudden - theresa may has probably known exactly what she's doing all along

it will surprise nobody if the 2 year extension is granted, a new referendum or general election based on sweeping brexit under the rug happens, and brexit is quietly forgotten - it's what the people in the right corridors of power seem to want

the most expensive, but ultimately pointless, political experiment ever .....

david cameron will forever be thought of as a donkey dick tho

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    What a fucking mess! (Am I allowed to swear?)
    Fucked if I know!

If Ireland does unify, will they promise to annex Wales soon after?

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 239 Posts
    What a fucking mess! (Am I allowed to swear?)
    You're allowed to swear, but you sound too American to me. Make it more English. Um...like, "Cor blimey, what a bloody bunch of bollocks this is."

Have we got headlines yet? I can't wait to see what the Sun cooks up tomorrow or whatever.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 48,418 Times in 9,816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Make it more English. Um...like, "Cor blimey, what a bloody bunch of bollocks this is."
    And then immediately sweep a chimney.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"I swear I didn't know that .45 was loaded...
    In fact my memory ain't too clear...
    That's not to say she didn't get what she deserved...
    Least that's the way it looked from here..."

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    Fucked if I know!

If Ireland does unify, will they promise to annex Wales soon after?
    Don't forget SNP getting another referendum!

Since everything is on the table, I think we should go back a century to the concept of a dual monarchy. Or is that "duel monarchy"? (Kidding, of course!)

David Cameron is probably beside himself at what he caused in promising that in-out referendum.

Edit: The Sun has "Brextinct" in print and "Brexsh*tshow" on its website. The Daily Express has "Dismay." Everybody else chose boring headlines.
    Last edited by Persephone; 03-13-2019 at 12:04 AM.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can't see them giving us another referendum. The polling shows that it would probably be about 52% - 48% for remain if they re-ran it as a straight in/out question; that would just divide us even more and a civil war is not out of the question.

If they put all the options on the table it gets even worse for the leavers.
    Lets say they go for four options;
    1. No deal
    2. Theresa's deal
    3. A Norway style deal
    4. Remain in the EU

For everyone that originally wanted to stay in the EU, their option is still there so they would get around the 48-52% of the vote predicted.
    The leavers are split between the other three options and would be lucky to get more than 25% for any of the three leave options on the table.

Result; we stay in the EU.

The leavers know this so they will do everything they can to avoid another people's vote.

What I can't believe is that the government are still pushing the Theresa May deal in the background, what ever happened to no means no.
    Fair play to the EU for taking a hard stance on an extension this morning; otherwise our politicians will keep up the same 'kick the can down the road' approach until the extension is used up.

P.S. As a Welshman I can't go for the 'cor blimey luv a duck' school of British stereotypes. I can give you a 'now look you' a 'whose coat is that jacket?', ' are you reading that newspaper you sitting on?' or a ' dew, that's a fine looking sheep'

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another day, another set of Brexit arguments.
    First, the UK published the list of tariffs they intend to apply if they leave without a deal. They are cleverly designed to put more pressure/pain on others than on those in the UK. Particularly badly hit would be Irish farm produce (beef, butter, cheese) and it has been interpreted as an attempt to put pressure on the Irish government to back down on the backstop. They also announced that there would temporarily (12 months) be no tariffs on goods coming into Northern Ireland from the Republic; and there would be no goods checking on the Irish Sea. That's probably not within the WTO rules but, it makes a mockery of the "precious Union" guff they came out with before as they objected to anything that would treat Northern Ireland differently. It would be a smugglers' charter and would, presumably, force the EU (in this case Ireland) to impose customs checks on the border which the UK could than blame on the EU. Hmm.

Today in the Commons, they are supposed to be voting on a motion to reject a no-deal outcome. However, there have been amendments, the second of which (Malthouse B) has already been roundly rejected by the EU. And, as Michael Gove has confirmed, the only way to avoid no-deal is to accept the agreement or stay in the EU.

The games continues and the most interesting things today are likely to be the political posturing and manoeuvring by the various factions. The votes are largely meaningless, imho.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Brexit is tragedy played as farce, but it does bring out some great lines. Mark Rutte, the Dutch Prime Minister, likened the vote against no-deal as the Titanic voting for the iceberg to get out of the way. Love it

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The games continues and the most interesting things today are likely to be the political posturing and manoeuvring by the various factions. The votes are largely meaningless, imho.
    Your right, the votes have absolutely no legal force, they are just advisory
    It is political theatre to make it look like they are taking action when the truth is no one has a clue what to do next.

Were doomed I tell yea!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post: