Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Brexit triggered - The Brexit plan

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    UK government finally revealed its negotiation position with the EU by publishing legislation that unpicks a previous international agreement they signed with the EU only last year. A government Minister was quick to acknowledge that it was contrary to international law! And Boris, Gove, et al are defending it.

To be fair to them, at least they came clean with 3 months to go. Trust is completely destroyed and it looks very much as if the UK side has no interest in a deal. Difficult to see the EU agreeing to anything the UK proposes at this stage. Which creates a huge problem for Northern Ireland, will do serious damage to Ireland, and will disrupt all trade in and out of the UK. Oh, and the chances of a US trade deal will be zero if Biden is elected. Nice work, guys.
    Forget the trade woes - I'm gravely concerned that setting up checkpoints might reignite the Troubles.

For all of Labour (and Lib Dems, and even some Tories) attempts to block a no-deal exit, it looks like the car is veering out of control to crash out without a deal...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,188 Times in 2,864 Posts
    i have become somewhat dubious about the whole notion of the phrase "no deal brexit" - linguistically, it suggests a paradigm where the uk would suddenly find itself crippled by an inability to trade with previous partners

it sounds like a conveniently scary idea that seems to ignore the supposedly worst case safety net scenario of reversion to wto agreements

who knows what to think really? - the language involved just seems biased and misleading, whichever side is speaking - it's been virtually impossible to know what's what since day 1 of this whole brexit thing - that's why we leave this stuff to politicians and that's why cameron is a pig fucking idiot to have put it out to referendum

(and i do use the phrase "pig fucking idiot" advisedly there)

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,097 Times in 2,981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    who knows what to think really? - the language involved just seems biased and misleading, whichever side is speaking - it's been virtually impossible to know what's what since day 1 of this whole brexit thing
    Substitute US politics for brexit and you describe us perfectly too my friend.
    If I felt we here were in a position to make fun of anyone's politics I would have said more these last 4 years, but as it is I just hope all concerned come out ok and still work together after brexit.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i have become somewhat dubious about the whole notion of the phrase "no deal brexit" - linguistically, it suggests a paradigm where the uk would suddenly find itself crippled by an inability to trade with previous partners

it sounds like a conveniently scary idea that seems to ignore the supposedly worst case safety net scenario of reversion to wto agreements

who knows what to think really? - the language involved just seems biased and misleading, whichever side is speaking - it's been virtually impossible to know what's what since day 1 of this whole brexit thing - that's why we leave this stuff to politicians and that's why cameron is a pig fucking idiot to have put it out to referendum

(and i do use the phrase "pig fucking idiot" advisedly there)

In hindsight, it all seems like a hilariously bad idea. The UK had been part of the EU for over 40 years (1973-2016) when the referendum was held. The idea that it would be easy to divorce, to sign new trade agreements, to undo all the changes that had happened since 1973 - laughably absurd. Boris saying that the UK would be done with the "transitional period" by the end of 2020 seemed incredibly lofty and idealistic even before COVID-19 smashed everything to pieces. This isn't just "new" - it's just about completely unknown to the current crop of politicians who were either children or not even born yet in 1973. I dunno. It's gonna get bad. It's already bad. It's gonna get worse.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    taking the current fiasco into consideration, we've already seen the government dither, flip flop and bullshit their way through covid, taking half measures and getting things wrong as much as right - then, cloud the rules and confuse everyone so as to be able to say "what's happening now is your fault, not ours"

anything there sound familiar?

whatever happens with brexit, the conservatives simply asked for our opinion - ironically, under the eu referendum bill 2015-16, no referendum was held to be binding - the high court subsequently agreed - even nigel farage agreed

in that respect, we gave our opinion and relied on the government to do whatever was best whenever it needed to be done as a result of that

now, we have a culture of blame which the media and political players seem happy to perpetuate - a culture where the public are squarely to be blamed or not depending on their view on brexit, a veiw largely influenced by political prompting and prodding (watch the benedict cumberbatch movie)

anything to be able to say "hey, what's happening now is your fault, not ours"

personally, i'd rather the whole question of brexit had never come up but i remain determined not to hold those who balloted in favour of it at fault for the shitshow it has all turned into

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,097 Times in 2,981 Posts
    I will say brexit most resembles the acrimonious divorce of a long-time married couple with many shared assets. It probably should have been handled by this lady; it would have taken 10 minutes

Last edited by BondJmsBond; 09-13-2020 at 10:59 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i have no idea who the lady above is but she looks fierce enough to be halle berry's stunt double so i ain't arguing ......

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,955 Times in 11,272 Posts
    i have no idea who the lady above is but she looks fierce enough to be halle berry's stunt double so i ain't arguing ......

Dreary court TV show with a fake judge on it.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Baby hair with a woman's eyes, I can feel you watching in the night..
    All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight, when I feel cold you warm me...
    When I feel I can't go on you come and hold me, it's you and me forever...

Sara Smile, won't you smile a while for me?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Divorce Court is an arbitration-based category of court television. Like a small claims civil court, but for TV. typically both sides are self-represented (no lawyers). In some formats, the parties agree to take it to the show and the show pays for the legal costs. An example: if Person A sues Person B for $500, and the judge finds in Person A's favor, the show will pay the $500. It seems to be an extremely and almost totally American thing. "The People's Court" is one of the longest-running such shows and a pioneer in the format, and (of course) they attempted a UK version in 2005, but it seems to have never caught on at all, as I can't find any videos, even of the pilot episode or anything.

It's a popular genre for daytime TV, right up there with soap operas and variety talk shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Dreary court TV show with a fake judge on it.
    Not sure about Divorce Court but at least some of the judges on other shows are retired judges from local jurisdictions.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,955 Times in 11,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Not sure about Divorce Court but at least some of the judges on other shows are retired judges from local jurisdictions.
    Yes, but even those are still fake judges because they aren't active ones.

It's like calling Dr. Phil a real therapist even though he's not licensed to practice anywhere.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Baby hair with a woman's eyes, I can feel you watching in the night..
    All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight, when I feel cold you warm me...
    When I feel I can't go on you come and hold me, it's you and me forever...

Sara Smile, won't you smile a while for me?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: