Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Brexit triggered - The Brexit plan

Thanks
    Thanked 47,230 Times in 9,542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    Were doomed I tell yea!
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still...
    And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows..."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,271 Times in 2,227 Posts
    A delay so we get to enjoy the show for another few months? Maybe some sort of managed No-Deal? An all-out last-ditch effort to scuttle the whole thing and just remain?
    It seems still up in the air even after all this.

What sort of statue of David Cameron will you guys build after this over?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 260,202 Times in 8,669 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    There are probably many creative suggestions for this, most involving eternal fires and devils.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A delay so we get to enjoy the show for another few months? Maybe some sort of managed No-Deal? An all-out last-ditch effort to scuttle the whole thing and just remain?
    It seems still up in the air even after all this.

Well, I see a large stone statue, rising over the gentle hills of somewhere in southern England, dressed in Oxford student clobber.
    Lying before the Cameron figure, hewn from the same stone, a pigs head. A vast dead pigs head.
    With the sculpted manhood of the former British PM jammed into the waiting maw.

And with this piece of public art Cameron would forever be remembered, by both Leavers and Remainers, as:
    "The Rich Entitled Pig Shagging Bell End Who Green Lighted The Whole Sorry Shit Show And Then Ran Away Like A Total Tosser"

If that ends up as the statue title it might need some work, as that's a lot of stone work for some poor sod.
    And maybe add a single-word Danny Dyer quote in there somewhere as well. Nice.

(For the pig heads reference, just google Piggate. Don't really care if the story was 100% true or not at this point)

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to caerlesbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caerlesbi View Post

(For the pig heads reference, just google Piggate.

I now regret following that suggestion. My fault, I should have figured it out through context.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 03-13-2019 at 07:01 PM.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I now regret following that suggestion. My fault, I should have figured it out through context.
    Ah yes, my humble apologies there, mate

Yes, I should've added a warning:
    "Alert: stories relating to an ex-pigs head plus a human male sexual organ may lie ahead.
    Said stories may also include references to a future British PM that risked the future of the UK because he reckoned he just could.
    The same British PM also appears to have been quite fond of pigs as a student, for a time, really very fond. Allegedly"

That would've worked out better I reckon.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to caerlesbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 260,202 Times in 8,669 Posts
    Chaos in the Commons! Last night, the Government Whips lost control and Government MPs and even Ministers abstained or voted against the Government. It appears the unity of the Conservative Party is finally crumbling, after many years of tension between the various factions. It was a complete mess and, in any normal circumstance, the Prime Minister would have resigned or the Government would have fallen. These are not normal times, however; the Tories cannot get rid of Theresa May until the end of the year (she survived the last attempt and they can't try again for 12 months), and the Tories are so afraid of an election (and a possible Corbyn victory) that they will do anything to avoid it; even suffering humiliation in the Commons.
    But, but, but...

We may also have seen the first baby steps towards a constructive outcome. Last night, the Commons voted against leaving without a deal - not binding, has no legal effect, but does constrain the Government. They also resoundingly rejected the Malthouse Compromise (a managed no-deal wheeze dreamed up by the Brexiteers and already rejected by the EU).
    Today is billed as a vote on seeking an extension to the Article 50 deadline, currently March 29. There are 8 amandments proposed, but we don't yet know which ones the Speaker will select. The Prime Minister in her statement last night suggested two options: if her deal is passed, time would be needed to ratify and legistlate for it, she would seek a short, technical extension (which would probably be granted). If her deal is not passed, she would need to seek a much longer extension....
    Yes, you read that right. The original deal (twice rejected by the Commons) isn't dead, yet. The unspoken threat to the Brexiteers is that if they defeat the deal again, Brexit may be delayed for a long time (and there is an increasing risk that it may not happen at all).
    Fun and political games, yes; but, finally, real progress towards a more adult discussion of what they do want and can vote for. The real deadline, now, is the EU Summit on this day week. Any request for an extension to Article 50 would have to be made before that Summit so they can decide. Note, an extension requires unanimity among the 27; not guaranteed and they will want a strong reason and good prospects of success.
    Enjoy the chaos.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 199 Posts
    After the votes everything is very clear and easy to follow.

We won't be leaving without a deal.
    We won't be leaving with a deal.
    We are commited to leaving on March 29th

The deal with the deal is that we feel that Brexiteer zeal means they won't get real and give it their seal so we can all start to heal.

I may have gone slightly mad
    Last edited by Arbiec; 03-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll hazard a prediction at this point and say I bet England ends up staying in the EU.

If any EU nation denies the extension, it should get very interesting quite quickly.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 03-14-2019 at 01:58 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,728 Times in 229 Posts
    I'll hazard a prediction at this point and say I bet England ends up staying in the EU.

If any EU nation denies the extension, it should get very interesting quite quickly.
    Yeah, I really don't see all 27 nations unanimously agreeing to an extension. This is squarely on the "Leave" faction of the Conservative Party throwing a tantrum about the terms and trying to use the threat of "No Deal" to wring more concessions from the EU. I hope the EU doesn't cave in. "Leave" was built on a number of lies and deceptions that are starting to unravel now. I'm not saying that there should be a "do-over referendum," but someone's going to have to answer for the inanity of lies and half-truths that swayed 17 million people to vote to leave.

Just as an example, some fishing communities voted to "leave" because they believed they could get better fishing limits/rights, but in the Brexit agreement, the UK agreed to honor the EU limits for at least two years. I'm almost certain that they wouldn't vote leave now knowing that.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post: