Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: for the chess enthusiasts ...

Thanks
    Thanked 14,838 Times in 2,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    I have a feeling the one you are looking for is the most convoluted that includes a sacrifice of a newly promoted major piece?
    i ain't sayin' nuthin'

when you see how this one plays out, it really is a thing of beauty
    "i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    let's finish this one out because i hate these things hanging around too long - if you have a board, i'd advise setting it up so you can see how the sequence develops

-

white's 1st move has to be the knight's check on f6 and, as previously discussed, the only move black can sensibly make is king to g7 - remember, black's king must avoid the f7 square at all costs so it's knight can go there should white's pawn promote on d8 - if white queens unchallenged, the game is lost

white continues with the checking strategy and moves the knight to h5 - black's king cannot move to either the 8th rank or f7 or white will queen with no chance of immediate recapture - it also can't return to h7 or a bishop check will lead to either mate within 2 or forcing the king to occupy the f7 square - so black's king has to move to g6

white now moves the bishop to c2 - again, black's king must avoid f7 - only move is black king takes knight on h5

next move is the killer - white now promotes to queen on d8 - black must move it's knight to f7 - any other move is as good as admitting defeat

white's king moves to e6 and black's knight takes the queen on d8, checking the white king

white's king moves to safety on f5, where there is no danger of being immediately checked - this is the vital position - black's king is now trapped on the h5 square, being unable to move to the g file (white's king on f5 blocks), h6 (black's own pawn blocks) or h4 (white's pawn blocks) - black's king now sits on a light square and white has a light square bishop on c2 to play with - checkmate looms large

the only move black has to avoid mate in 2 is pawn to e2 - white's bishop replies by moving to e4, now threatening mate on f3

black's only reply is to promote the pawn on e1 to a knight, protecting the f3 square (anything else is an instant win for white) - white replies with bishop to d5, with a view to mate via c4 and e2

the only possible defence against this line involves black moving it's pawn immediately to c2 - white's bishop goes to c4 - black moves the pawn to c1 and promotes to another knight, now protecting e2 (again, any other promotion leads to mate for white)

white's bishop now moves to b5, with the threat of mate on e8 - the only logical reply to try and stop this is black's knight from a6 to c7, covering the e8 square

white's bishop now goes to a4, threatening mate on d1

-

if you've set a board up to follow this sequence, you should now be seeing that black has no moves that will help now - white's bishop will land on d1, delivering mate - the only prolonging moves black has is to block the way with it's knights but that doesn't stop the inevitable

as i said, tal was the only grandmaster who managed to beat this puzzle at the tournament it was showcased at, which is perhaps unsurprising - tal, of all the famous chess players going, had the reputation of throwing in mad moves that nobody else would probably even think of

Last edited by sp88; 04-17-2020 at 01:57 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    try this puzzle on for size …..

thanos to play and win

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 68,757 Times in 8,149 Posts
    what with all the coloured balls, I peg him more as a Chinese Checkers type guy.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    2 grandmasters are playing chess - they have played 3 games - each player has 2 wins

how is this possible?

Last edited by sp88; 04-28-2020 at 05:28 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    2 grandmasters are playing chess - they have played 3 games - each player has 2 wins

how is this possible?

Four players in a round robin tournament, two of which are the Grandmasters mentioned plus two others?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^

yep, a nice easy one - they're both playing other people

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post: