Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks
    Thanked 203,236 Times in 6,250 Posts

The Trump Presidency

The election is over and on January 20th Donald Trump will be inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States. And there is so much politics to be observed, analysed and argued over. It promises to be fascinating and this thread is for all your contributions on the politics of the Trump presidency. The usual rules apply, of course; disagree robustly but with respect for all.

I'll kick off with some of the stuff that has been whirring around for the past week. The first nagging question is whether Trump actually wants/wanted the job of President. He likes to win; he LOVES to win. But does/did he really want this job with all its constraints and protocols? And will he want a second term? If not, he has 3 years to make his mark.

For a man who campaigned as an outsider, a non-politician, he has a lot of intense and delicate politics to get through. His first task is to build a relationship with Congress, many of whom were not impressed with his campaign. The appointment of Reince Priebus (strange name) as Chief of Staff seems like a sensible choice. Priebus was Chair of the Republican National Committee and managed to stay out of the campaign battle with some dignity. He also has a good relationship with the Leader of the House, Paul Ryan, who does not seem to have much time for Trump. Most politicians will be professional about it and forget the campaign battle (they may not forgive) and just get on with the job. The Republicans in Congress are not a cohesive group; recall what happened to John Boehner. Is Priebus he tough enough for the job?

His other early appointment of Stephen Bannon seems strange. What influence will he have? Did those who voted for Trump vote for an alt-right agenda? Or will Bannon change his spots?

Other appointments are in the works now and the total cabinet should tell us something about the President elect's approach.

The other thing Trump will need is policies. The campaign was pretty much devoid of them. We have a few hints: Obamacare might be reformed instead of dumped (denying 20+million people their health care might not be politically smart); The Wall may turn out to be a fence, if it gets built at all; three million criminal illegal immigrants are to be deported (that seems like a typical exaggeration - DOJ estimate around 180,000 and any that are in the US for more than 5 years are entitled to due process, court hearing, appeal, etc. I expect that one to run into the sand); taxes will be lowered across the board (to be expected from a Republican president); there will be a huge splurge of investment in infrastructure (which America badly needs); and these last two will be done at the same time. Ah, that will have to be funded with debt, then. One estimate suggests that US Government debt would almost double in 10 years under this plan. Have the debt and deficit hawks of the Tea Party gone away?
    Finally, what looks like a political misstep. Trump is an unusual president in being very wealthy and having a broad range of business interests around the world. The norm (in US and Europe) is for an office holder to put their business into a blind trust and to step away while they are in office. Apparently, Trumps children will run the businesses for the duration. That creates an unnecessary vulnerability and seems to leave hostages to fortune. Imagine the Russian (or other) government announcing a snap audit of a Trump company, followed by a large fine or restriction on activity for failing the audit. They operate like that and would love to tweak the nose of a US president. Also, any government money (contract, payment etc. from any government around the world) can easily be portrayed as corrupt. It will be very difficult to defend against that.

Whew, got that off my chest. Hope it gives some food for thought and discussion.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 411,729 Times in 11,788 Posts

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,555 Times in 6,793 Posts
    ^ Needs more Trump.
    Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

"My past has not defined me, destroyed me, deterred me, or defeated me...it has only strengthened me."

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,555 Times in 6,793 Posts
    Let's get this started with some payoffs and no admission of wrongdoing.

Trump University agrees to settle lawsuit for $25 million, NY AG announces.

Code:
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/18/president-elect-donald-trump-nearing-settlement-in-trump-university-case-source.html
    U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has agreed to settle lawsuits relating to his Trump University series of real estate seminars for $25 million, the New York Attorney General's office said on Friday.

"Today's $25 million settlement agreement is a stunning reversal by Donald Trump and a major victory for the over 6,000 victims of his fraudulent university," Attorney General Eric Schneiderman said in a statement. "I am pleased that under the terms of this settlement, every victim will receive restitution and that Donald Trump will pay up to $1 million in penalties to the State of New York for violating state education laws."

Reuters, along with the The New York Daily News, initially reported some details of the news.

A source told CNBC earlier on Friday that the case was nearing a settlement, and that the president-elect would agree to pay $20 million to $25 million to settle the complaint. CNBC has reached out to Trump's attorney.

Trump will not admit to any wrongdoing in the final agreement, the source said.

Claims brought by New York's attorney general will represent roughly $4 million of that amount, the source said. The law firms representing students in the case will not seek attorneys fees, only costs, the Reuters source said.

"In 2013, my office sued Donald Trump for swindling thousands of innocent Americans out of ​millions of dollars through a scheme known at Trump University," Schneiderman's statement said. "Donald Trump fought us every step of the way, filing baseless charges and fruitless appeal​s​ and refusing to settle for even modest amounts of compensation for the victims of his phony university. Today, that all changes."
    Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

"My past has not defined me, destroyed me, deterred me, or defeated me...it has only strengthened me."

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,339 Times in 2,164 Posts

Thumbs up

Last edited by wildwest08; 02-03-2017 at 03:53 AM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs up

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Any voters regret? I watched an interview where a muslim explained her reasons voting Trump because the racism was all a 'conspiracy' despite twitter and interviews, the following day a video was put out proposing muslim registration.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ra5whore For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 411,729 Times in 11,788 Posts

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Smile

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post: