View Poll Results: the bomb ... what's your view?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • any nation should have the right to develop and deploy nuclear weaponry

3 15.00%
  • only certain nations should be allowed to retain a nuclear capability

5 25.00%
  • all nations should scrap their nuclear programmes and the weaponry should disappear from the planet

12 60.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: to nuke or not to nuke ... that is the question

Thanks
    Thanked 11,644 Times in 2,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post

i don't pretend to know the truth of it
    No one does, it's too complex with too many variables. I would gladly see it verifiably debunked. With what's at stake, however, it's prudent to treat it as true and behave accordingly.

If true, I also think that while reducing emissions is helpful, it's too late, will not be done effectively, and will not be enough.

The only remedy will be finding a way to use technology to create a man-made solution when we're up to our nipples like sp says..

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,923 Times in 847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post

The only remedy will be finding a way to use technology to create a man-made solution when we're up to our nipples like sp says..
    lol

Crying parents tell their children
    If you survive don't do as we did
    A son exclaims there'll be nothing to do to
    Her daughter says she'll be dead with you...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baddfingerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Climate change is a complex subject, especially when most research is conducted by believers or deniers.
    Believers use data and exaggerate the numbers to "prove" their point and the deniers prove the opposite point with the same data and derive different numbers. I don't know who's being honest because both sides want to win more than they want to be honest.

I consider myself a spiritual person so I absolutely believe in the logic that everything we do affects everything else.
    Yes, peeing in the pool is not good. Definitely not the same water

On the other hand, in certain situations, there has to be some leniency in order to satisfy more people.
    I love grilling out with charcoal. I don't want to see it discontinued. It tastes good.

There was a time around five years ago that the regulatory commission of the EPA (or another closely linked bureau) wanted to put regulations on people who used woodburning stoves for heat and cooking. There was talk about how to regulate people burning wood in general because of the "emissions".

Jesus Christ!
    These folks are poor enough that they still use wood burning heaters for heat and cooking and the feds want to regulate money out of their pockets. This never came to fruition but the fact that our government is trying to basically turn everyone into a criminal to regulate the wealth out of the hands of the people is disgusting and unethical, IMHO

More problems stem from a person claiming residence somewhere and all of the utility companies feel like it's thier entitlement to get paid from every single person, regardless if they want the service or not. Some of the cases I'm referring to involve the electric companies in Florida. I don't believe those are isolated cases but those are the ones I've read about. How can it be legl to deny someone residence on their own land because they choose not to feed the big energy companies. That poor nuclear reactor is gonna stop turning because a person decides to use natural energy sources like solar panels!

That's the kinda bureaucratic zoning and regulations bullshit that needs to end!
    To Each Their Own

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rbn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,126 Times in 9,231 Posts
    I'm absolutely done with this conversation.
    97% of climate scientists agree there is a problem and we still gotta give the 3% tin foil hat crowd their say.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"Innocence, torn from me without your shelter...
    Barred reality, I'm living blindly..."

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I'm absolutely done with this conversation.
    97% of climate scientists agree there is a problem and we still gotta give the 3% tin foil hat crowd their say.
    Testify brother!

Even if the 3% turn out to be right and we "waste" billions on cleaning up our act, we will be living in a better world with clean energy improved air quality and less toxins in our bodies.
    If the 97% are right and we do nothing, end of human life on the planet.

And as an aside, we hit the tipping point earlier this year, we are no longer swapping to renewable energy sources because it is good for the planet, it is now cheaper than fossil fuel too. As the cost of RE continues to fall that economic arguement for swapping will just get too big to ignore. That is why the Donald who is all for coal wants to put solar panels on his dumb wall.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reading this thread was painful... at this point climate change deniers are as thick as evolution deniers...
    But there is an obvious difference, denying evolution will not cause our demise (at least not immediately) denying climate change could.

“We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atheist For This Useful Post: