Page 307 of 310 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3099

Thread: What's your mood today ?

Thanks
    Thanked 18,321 Times in 3,522 Posts
    I need a new phone.

I like it a lot, but it's the cheapest end of yesteryear. I've had it for a year and you can buy it now for $9.99. It has served it's purpose in introducing me cheaply to smartphones so if it didn't work out no great loss, and now it's time to move on.
    The 16gb internal memory is always almost full and I have to clean it up all the time. It installs stuff automatically onto the internal memory and won't allow it to be installed or moved to external mem., so even though I have 128gb external, I can't put most stuff there and can't install any more apps etc., I've hit the wall. It does not allow you to configure the microsd memory as an expansion of the internal.
    It's so slow it's just ridiculous even though I do all the maintenance I can find to do and adjusted everything possible to minimum.
    The crummy display and small screen size make it just barely hard enough to read so I have to put on reading glasses to really use it properly. I hate that.
    I fear it soon will not receive the security updates it needs to stay safe.

So, a new bigger better phone here we come

I want to get an unlocked phone so I can use sim cards and go to any carrier. I like tracfone and will probably stay with that - I'm liking the $20/mo. for unlimited calls and text plus 1gb data; and I have 13gb data rolled over there. I texttalked to Rena online at tracfone and she says the phone I may want is compatible but I'm going to double check that as she pretty much just wanted to sell me stuff.

I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy a42 5g
    https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/ph...m-a426uzkbxaa/
    Tired of the little screen, this one has a big bastard, I'll buy pants with bigger pockets or something.

...but I need to talk to someone who knows this stuff as some of it is confusing with carrier compatibility etc. and I don't want to screw this up.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 10-18-2021 at 10:48 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^-- I went through this paroxysm last year. As Al Cervix said, "It sucks."

I bought a phone advertised as Sprint compatible on Amazon. I took it to a Sprint store to activate it, they said it would not run on their network. Luckily, I was able to return it. While I was there, the nice guy at the store offered to sell me an even better (used) phone for about $25 more. I've been with Sprint/T-Mobile for over 15 years now, so that might have gotten me somewhere. Upshot is I paid a little more for a phone, but I knew it was going to work without having all the LTE/5G CDMA MMA MDMA MOMA shit to wade through in an Amazon ad.

LESSON 1: Make sure whatever you buy can be returned for any reason. Screen shot the ad and keep it. It takes up 200k on your device.
    LESSON 2: Use a credit card. If the phone is defective or if they don't live up to the terms of the ad, you can file a dispute with your card issuer. I did that job when I started in banking. If the phone works and someone can activate it, great. If not, you're protected.
    IDEA 1: Maybe buy a phone and take it somewhere, pretending to shop for service. See what kind of deals on the phones they have in store. I went from 16GB to 64GB.

Later in 2020, I was told that my device was eligible for an upgrade to the fancy new S21 for basically nothing, as long as I kept the phone for 2 years. They do some fancy financial gymnastics in the store and you walk out with basically paying for the sales tax on the thing. It so happened that if I paid an extra $2 per month for 2 years, I would go from 64GB all the way to 256GB, which is a un chingo of memory. This is partly because fewer of the new phones have slots for SD cards.

LESSON 3: If you have the chance to get more memory, take it.
    IDEA 2: A slightly newer phone will probably make you eligible for an upgrade. And older phone might not.

When you do find a phone and you want to get it started, DON'T wait for the store clerk to transfer all the shit over from the old phone to the new one. It will take bleeping forever. It will transfer, on by one, all the apps with their related data and memory caches, media, everything. Have him or her explain how to do it, and take it home and do it. If you're gonna trade a phone in, just tell them you'll bring it back later. The cell companies are cutthroat enough they don't want to lose a new caller.

LESSON 4: Don't wait around a cell phone store. Listening to a bunch of zit-popping Millies banter about owning 1/10,000th of a bitcoin will drive you insane!

I don't know if you're one of The Apple People or not. If so, none of the above applies. The Ghost of Steve already haunts your phone, and will steer you to the nearest Apple Startrek/Borg pod where you can plug into the mother hive and have your synapses purged of any non-Apple ideas.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bill_az For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bill that's a wealth of info with good advice, I'll absolutely do the return confirmation and credit card thing.
    I know getting one from the carrier I use, one that they stock, would be better but tracfone only offers one that's a bit shittier than what I want. I'm going to have to figure out if I can successfully get an unlocked and get a tracfone simcard to work. From what I see it can be done but many have problems. That's my major hurdle now.
    I don't think I'll get it from Amazon, they're too haphazard about this from what I see.

No Apple here, they search the files on your phone now ffs.

More memory, check. Newer phone with years of OS and security updates, check. Do transfer myself, check.
    I do plan to go to tracfone cell stores and see if I can find someone who knows wtf, but I won't hang

thanks

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 59,241 Times in 12,898 Posts
    Our Green Cheeked Amazon Nick has passed. He'd been feeling poorly ever since he fell off of the cage while playing with the new cat, Cricket a couple of days ago.

I had made arraignments to have him euthanized at one of the avian rescue places this afternoon but when I got there, he had passed while in the car with me.

I always had a love/hate relationship with the bird, but I hope he goes wherever good boys go.

He's already planted in one of the flower beds (it was already wet and we could dig deep, we put him in a nice wooden box with his sleeping cover and his bell (which was kind of like his girlfriend.) and we put a couple of paving stones over the box so the cats would leave it alone.

Here's a pic in his glory days.

My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint...
    And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud...
    And you don't know how it feels...
    You don't know how it feels to be me...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good looking bird, I'm sorry for your loss Frosty.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After Bill's input, and doing some thinking, I've decided to get the model that tracfone has in stock. It should work with no problem and hassle.
    64gb memory instead of 128, tft screen instead of amoled, some other little things too, but comparing the specs side by side, this is the one I need, and the one I wanted may not suit.

Still an awesome upgrade for me, it's the same series as the other just with somewhat lower spec's and different operation. $100 cheaper too
    It also, surprisingly, has some features the more expensive one doesn't, ones I want, so that's the deciding factor for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...dp/B08ZT2R441/

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 73,726 Times in 9,006 Posts
    sorry to hear about the parrot - very characterful animals and,
    like ducks, there is something amusing about seeing one walking.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very early yesterday, I took away the cage, disassembled it, blasted it at the car wash and put it out in the shed.

There were many a loud noisy day that I wished for his death, but as they used to say in the old WWII submarine movies..."It's quiet........too quiet."

Before we buried him, we showed him to the rest of the indoor animals and they got the point that Nick wasn't coming back.

The dog and him used to "sing" and Nick would bark along when the dog barked at something outside.

The cats aren't particularly devastated but the dog's mourning a bit.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 316,825 Times in 10,663 Posts
    I cannot think of a dead parrot without an image of John Cleese coming to mind... But that parrot was blue.
    Poor old Nick

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'll admit that when I called Hubby to tell him he had already passed, I did use the "THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!" line.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: