Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Football (Soccer for you Americans)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,552 Times in 2,346 Posts
    German-Italian night in the EL.

Bor.Dortmund vs.Atalanta Bergamo
    SSC Napoli vs. RB Leipzig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,342 Times in 2,698 Posts
    there's a microcosm of football philosophy happening in manchester at the moment

on the one side, you have pep guardiola's city and, on the other, you have jose mourinho's united

guardiola, a graduate of cruijff's revolution at barcelona (which in itself was an extension of the great rinus michel's ideology) packs his teams with players who are highly versatile ..... defenders who have a bit of pace and can pass a ball, forwards who can drop deep to link the play and tackle, et cetera

mourinho seems to have evolved into a manager who is happy for defenders to sit back and concentrate on defensive duties, forwards who stay forward and look for the rest of the team to get the ball forward to them - in short, a traditional approach

i must admit, i was never a fan of guardiola's barcelona because the matches ended up being far too one-sided and were boring to watch but .....

with guardiola's city, players all across the pitch are able to join in moves - there are overlapping full backs, centre backs taking a turn as midfielders, false nines - it means that the players are harder to mark and can contribute to attacking moves more

mourinho's tactics mean attacking moves are, by necessity, slower as the ball has to be played within rigid formations

mourinho was, at one time, a brilliant manager - not the best tactical mind, but capable of instilling passion and desire into his players - in his later years, maybe that drive has gone

it's interesting to see how city, who traditionally have always been a less imaginative, more staid outfit have overtaken united as the team to provide the greater entertainment to the interested neutral bystander
    "i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 228 Posts
    I think of Mourinho as a good manager; gets effective results from the resources he has, matching the right players to the right role to get a result. It isn't pretty but it does work for him. I don't think he has the player resources at United to challenge and under the Glazers I don't think he has the financial resources he did at Chelsea and Real to buy all the pieces to build his football machine.
    I didn't think he was ever going to be a good fit for the United playing philosophy; United fans like to win or lose whilst playing breathtaking football. For a few seasons they suffered with losing ugly and now under Mourinho it is often win ugly; but is that enough at a club like united?

Pep on the other hand has shown himself to be the best coach in the world at the moment. I know a lot of money was spent at City but most of it was before his time and the players he inherited weren't really setting the world alight.
    I watch City play this season and he has improved every player they have. Some of them so much that they don't even seem like the same player as pulled on the shirt before he arrived. As a relegation worried neutral who spends every game a bag of nerves, taking time to watch City is a joy.
    I will enjoy it until the 21st of April when I hope they have the worst off day in history, they all get food poisoning for 24 hours and the Youth team has to play instead. Although I wouldn't want to bet they couldn't do the job if called upon either!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    another champions league night ruined by cüneyt ҫakır, the ref with the ever-present agenda - a red card once again for a challenge which would have only seen a free kick given in any other league

how is this idiot still allowed to referee matches?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    manager arsène wenger has formally announced his decision to leave arsenal fc at the end of the current season - he has been at the club for 22 years

in recent years, arsenal have struggled to compete with many of the top clubs in england, and have moved from being seen as regular title hopefuls to the realms of the chasing pack that props up the title hopefuls - this is perhaps somewhat due to wenger's successful steering of the club through the move to a new stadium (and absorbing the cost thereof) in the climate of financial fair play, and keeping arsenal healthy in money terms

for many arsenal fans, wenger has been the catalyst for the decline in arsenal's fortunes - for the last 3/4/5 seasons, there has usually come a time when the fans have been calling for his dismissal - it has become a thing

like him or loathe him tho, one cannot deny the massive influence he has had on both arsenal fc and english football in general - perhaps more than any other modern manager, wenger was responsible for changing english football philosophy - before his arrival, players were still very much of the old fashioned mould, boozing and having no concern for their diet or lifestyle - nowadays, footballers treat themselves as athletes and every aspect of their physical condition is monitored and controlled

wenger has also been innovative in his use of statistics and match data to transform football - even now, the statistical approach is still a rarity, although this is gradually becoming more and more the norm

ultimately, wenger's failures have been in terms of motivation and man management - perhaps unsurprisingly for a man approaching 70, the passion he has been able to instill in his players has been a concern in recent years, and arsenal have not reached the heights they are capable of, save for 2 league championships around the turn of the millenium and a near miss in the ucl 2005/06

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,552 Times in 2,346 Posts
    So it's now Liverpool FC vs. Real Madrid in the Champions League final.
    Second final for Jürgen Klopp.The first he lost with Dortmund against Munich.
    I hope he will make it now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    from an englishman's point of view, i'll be cheering for madrid all the way

in the champions league's whiny little sibling, the europa league, it will be atletico madrid beating ..... sorry, playing ..... marseille

that's assuming anybody feels charitable enough to be bothered about the europa league

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 228 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    from an englishman's point of view, i'll be cheering for madrid all the way

in the champions league's whiny little sibling, the europa league, it will be atletico madrid beating ..... sorry, playing ..... marseille

that's assuming anybody feels charitable enough to be bothered about the europa league

The only time anyone cares about the Europa League is when they have a chance of winning it. They should have left it as the Cup Winners Cup, at least then it had an identity and some sort of meaning.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    crappiest day of the year - the english fa cup marks the official end of the season here

awww, it's going to be almost 4 weeks before there's any more football to watch

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 66,195 Times in 7,780 Posts
    you don't switch over to watching some leather on willow?

*mimes textbook-perfect cover drive*

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post: