Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Football (Soccer for you Americans)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,103 Times in 2,450 Posts
    only one story on the english news programs today, the announcement of alex ferguson's confirmed retirement at the end of this season

13 league titles in 26 years in charge of manchester united, a handful of fa cups, a couple of european cups thrown into the mix

not forgetting his time at aberdeen at the turn of the 80s, where he broke the hold of the traditional big 2 for a few years, at least

lauded in some circles as the greatest manager in football history, certainly one of the best

a true legend of the game
    Last edited by sp88; 07-23-2013 at 02:24 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alex ferguson and dave phelan and the balloon incident still makes me laugh to this day

Fergie is one of the Best Premier League managers Ever
    Last edited by js1987; 05-08-2013 at 11:24 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to js1987 For This Useful Post:

Weird, but not dangerous! _2old_'s Avatar
    I'm standing behind you, NO, don't look...
    Thanks

The footballs!

'"Angry Rhino is.. ANGRY!''

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to _2old_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the answer to the question "how to keep rooney happy at united"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes.... !!! Premier League action is back!! Rooney and Suarez made for an interesting summer transfer window, nothing came of any of the rumors though ( What a shock! ) What a glorious start for my Gunners with a win over the spuds the other day ( the fact that they spent 100 mil on their line up while we only had two free transfers at that stage made the win even more satisfying ) No more Gareth Bale, No Champions league football ...AGAIN!! Boo hoo! Lol just need to see some silverware at the Emirates this season!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derangedhobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i wonder if there's a single person in england that isn't looking at the amount madrid paid for bale and stifling a giggle behind their hand

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    i wonder if there's a single person in england that isn't looking at the amount madrid paid for bale and stifling a giggle behind their hand
    It's laughable to suggest that his 'services' are worth the 85 million price tag. But consider that he is flaunted as the worlds best player right now, and consider that Real Madrid are just as much a brand as they are a football club. Their fans will be climbing over each other to buy tickets for his debut game or a new season shirt with his name on the back, Real did this with Zidane, Beckham and Ronaldo.. They MUST have the biggest names, It's marketing gold! You wouldn't see Man Utd, Barcelona or PSG pay 85 million for him, they've got the cash to throw around and they do but on talent.. not names.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to derangedhobo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    luis suarez walks into a bar

"can i get a large aperitif?" he asks

"i'm not sure that's possible" replies the barman

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    an interesting article i saw online today concerning the 10 most debt ridden football clubs globally .....

no surprises at number 1, with manchester united still heavily in debt following the glazer's takeover a few years back

more surprising is arsenal at number 2, a club which prides itself on being frugal with transfers and contracts and likes to be held up as an example of how to do things right - this probably has to do with having built a new stadium in 2006

even more surprising are numbers 4 and 5, bolton wanderers and queens park rangers, clubs which must surely be in severe trouble without the prestige and recognition of a united or an arsenal

the likes of real madrid and barcelona are lower down in the list with valencia being the spanish club taking 3rd spot

liverpool also make the list making england the most represented country on the debt list

obviously, the list is subjective and in the main doesn't take into account debts already converted to equity or absorbed by ownership, as practiced by the likes of chelsea or manchester city, both of which avoid a place on the list but still currently operate at a yearly loss

ps. if it helps, imagine reading this post in the voice of alan "fluff" freeman - i know i was as i typed it

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "manchester united has announced that david moyes has left the club - the club would like to place on record its thanks for the hard work, honesty and integrity he brought to the role"

that's the news (and i do mean news, it's what the general news programmes are leading with) from the u.k. today

i do still think it was the right move to go for a manager like moyes with longevity in mind rather than a manager like mourinho with a short term but immediate response - it's just a shame that the team moyes inherited didn't buy into his ideas and wasn't bequeathed to moyes in the best of shape

but it's a results based business and moyes didn't get the results

louis van gaal is expected to get the job in due course

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post: