Page 12 of 66 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Football (Soccer for you Americans)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foamy View Post
    it's fucking soccer, we only care about it every four years, and we are in the round of 16
    That's right but it is probably also the final destination for you.
    Then,the US-Americans have four more years to play football with their hands...as usual!

Germany vs. Algeria:

Germany can play with replacement players.
    No real opponent,always lucky these Germans!
    Toto,we should exchange the opponents mutually!!!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jolleefan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 444,202 Times in 13,089 Posts
    I'd rather enjoy baseball, hockey, real football, basketball, racing, lacrosse, horse racing, tennis, golf, badminton, world poker tour, nude mud wrestling or anything else on a regular basis then wait another 4 years for some kind of event to cheer for.

goes back to a long forgotten post.....

damn them Americans

so we can't beat the Europeans at everything...no one's perfect

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Foamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,924 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derangedhobo View Post
    Been putting in some long nights watching the world cup, very disappointed Australia is out but also very proud of how competitive we were in such a tough group. Especially considering how young and inexperienced our squad is this time. Well, I'm cheering for Germany and France now ( Go Podolski!!! )

What I find really comical is the way American fans are suddenly embracing 'soccer' again. It's a fad that comes around every four years if they happen to qualify. The way Americans so badly mispronounce players and clubs names, how they try to sound like they know what they are talking about but end up confusing even themselves.

Enjoy your success USA but FFS STOP CALLING IT SOCCER!!
    Actually Football refers to a number of sports that involve, to varying degrees, kicking a ball with the foot to score a goal.

Soccer or Association Football is the name of the specific game being played at the World Cup.

However I understand it's most generally known as just 'football' worldwide and feel your frustration.

Here in the US we've been brought up with 'football' being American football, and it's kind of weird to hear what we've known as 'soccer' being called football.

Hopefully this helps bridge the gap of misunderstanding, and I'll resist the temptation to point out that calling it soccer is more accurate than calling it football.

Oh, oops

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,342 Times in 2,698 Posts
    personally, i've never had a problem with the sport being called soccer by our american cousins .... or fútbol. calcio, nogomet, futebol, sakkā, futbolas, chukku, foci, etc in other nations

strikes me the british have some sort of snobbery towards the u.s. that they just don't have towards other countries that have their own word for association football - hell, calcio (italian) was, for years, seen as denoting a more attractive, technical style of football

i guess it comes from having a shared (but, as is often forgotten, divergent) language

let me put the non-brits' minds at rest - some of us aren't bothered what you call it, as long as we're able to enjoy it together

... and you don't bite anyone

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foamy View Post

it's fucking soccer, we only care about it every four years, and we are in the round of 16
    Sour grapes? Lol no, it doesn't annoy me, it makes me laugh ( like your pundit the other night trying so hard to pronounce Galatasaray ) It really is cute, Americans passionately embracing something once every four years that they don't really understand. Much like an Australian fan at the winter Olympics, it's kind of stupid but admirable. But hey, good for you! America has made the final 16, you probably won't advance any further but at least your players won't come home chewed on either... The cannibal of Anfield is safety muzzled back in Montevideo

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to derangedhobo For This Useful Post:

All I wanted was a Pepsi Frosty's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,134 Times in 10,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolleefan View Post
    That's right but it is probably also the final destination for you.
    Then,the US-Americans have four more years to play football with their hands...as usual!
    I was hoping they'd finally get knocked out of it, so the U.S. press about how much "we love soccer" would finally be over with.

I mean let's face it...every time one of these rolls around, every news organization is suddenly pro soccer.
    After we get knocked out, the fringe bandwagon fans over here crawl back into the woodwork
    and we don't have to hear about it again until the next time the world cup starts back up.

Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    strikes me the british have some sort of snobbery towards the u.s.
    That applies to a lot more things than soccer.
    I still think they're a bit angry at us for telling King George to go f*ck himself back in 1776.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

This is not the greatest sig in the world, no...
    This is just a tribute...
    Couldn't remember the greatest sig in the world, no, no..
    This is a tribute, oh...

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 444,202 Times in 13,089 Posts
    like your pundit the other night trying so hard to pronounce Galatasaray

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Foamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I was hoping they'd finally get knocked out of it, so the U.S. press about how much "we love soccer" would finally be over with.

I mean let's face it...every time one of these rolls around, every news organization is suddenly pro soccer.

After we get knocked out, the fringe bandwagon fans over here crawl back into the woodwork
    and we don't have to hear about it again until the next time the world cup starts back up. :rolleyes
    That's what annoys me here too. Bandwagon fans who jump on for the world cup or big friendly games in Sydney. Rant on about how great certain players are but couldn't even tell you what club they play for in Europe. Even more annoying here are 'fans' who complained about our place in 'the group of death' write the team off and criticise our defeats. Ffs, do you think a team goes to the world cup for an easy run? Any country there has earned their place, there are no easy games, you are playing against the best in the world. Be proud your national team has qualified and played to the best of their ability.

@Foamy, Galatasaray is a Turkish club. I was laughing at American commentators efforts at the pronunciation.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to derangedhobo For This Useful Post:

All I wanted was a Pepsi Frosty's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,134 Times in 10,268 Posts
    That's what annoys me here too. Bandwagon fans who jump on for the world cup...

Be proud your national team has qualified and played to the best of their ability.
    1. Just swap out soccer for bandwagon and I agree with you 100 percent.

2. I am deeply proud of our national team in a "not really giving a shit about it" sort of way,
    kind of like the WNBA, the CFL, NASCAR, Formula 1 or any kind of golf and tennis
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

This is not the greatest sig in the world, no...
    This is just a tribute...
    Couldn't remember the greatest sig in the world, no, no..
    This is a tribute, oh...

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,924 Times in 2,576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    1. Just swap out soccer for bandwagon and I agree with you 100 percent.

2. I am deeply proud of our national team in a "not really giving a shit about it" sort of way,
    kind of like the WNBA, the CFL, NASCAR, Formula 1 or any kind of golf and tennis
    Have to agree with the bandwagon stuff, after an initial enthusiasm it's now a yawn for me. Great if USA wins but I don't even know the names of any of our players...

Oh, and..

Soccer

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post: