Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Football (Soccer for you Americans)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 Times in 1,172 Posts
    The final was dreadful for the neutral viewer. As a Liverpool supporter I was happy the controversial penalty goal was not the decisive goal. Good defending by both teams. Both teams' performances probably influenced by the heat and what's at stake: More afraid to lose than willing to win.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kogi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,255 Times in 2,684 Posts

world cup kicking off, quite literally in seconds as i type .....

one of the french players was already in tears during the national anthem and not a single ball has yet been kicked

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 281,572 Times in 9,288 Posts
    France v S Korea wasn't a bad game. The French certainly know how to play - good ball skills, well drilled, some great movement off the ball. I enjoyed the game and will watch some of the other games, too.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,488 Times in 2,335 Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    we did our job in the European Qualifiers.

Belarus - Germany 0-2
    Germany - Estonia 8-0

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    usa 13 - thailand 0 in the women's world cup

it was a real boys-against-men match

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the group stages of the womens world cup are at an end

there has been an awful lot of dross but, of the better teams, the quality has been noticeably higher than at previous tournaments - i've been following the womens game for the better part of 10 years and the improvement in ability has been incredible

now that the initial rounds are done and dusted, the matches should be a lot tighter and a lot more interesting for the neutral bystander

we should also be at somewhat of a better stage to judge which teams are truly the ones to watch and which are the teams that previous results may have flattered

womens football is truly coming into it's own

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    the group stages of the womens world cup are at an end

there has been an awful lot of dross but, of the better teams, the quality has been noticeably higher than at previous tournaments - i've been following the womens game for the better part of 10 years and the improvement in ability has been incredible

now that the initial rounds are done and dusted, the matches should be a lot tighter and a lot more interesting for the neutral bystander

we should also be at somewhat of a better stage to judge which teams are truly the ones to watch and which are the teams that previous results may have flattered

womens football is truly coming into it's own

We have reached the quarter final already.
    Germany - Nigeria 3-0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 281,572 Times in 9,288 Posts
    The first 2 knockout games were quite a contrast. Germany won 3-nil, but it wasn't a great spectacle. The Germans were the better footballers, but the Nigerians used their speed and strength to disrupt the flow. Once they had the ball, their play was disappointing. Another slightly controversial VAR penalty where the foul is called for the follow through after kicking the ball. That's the third like that in the tournament. It seems a bit harsh.
    The other game last night, Australia v Norway, was a cracking contest! The Aussies emulated their male counterparts by never, ever giving up. The Norwegians seemed slightly stronger for much of the match, but couldn't put away their chances. End to end stuff; incredible stamina from both sides - they just kept on running. One all at full time, and at the end of extra time. Penalties, which Norway won easily. Probably the right result, but a great game of football to watch.
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the tournament and don't care who wins, as long as they play good football.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    The first 2 knockout games were quite a contrast. Germany won 3-nil, but it wasn't a great spectacle. The Germans were the better footballers, but the Nigerians used their speed and strength to disrupt the flow. Once they had the ball, their play was disappointing. Another slightly controversial VAR penalty where the foul is called for the follow through after kicking the ball. That's the third like that in the tournament. It seems a bit harsh.
    The other game last night, Australia v Norway, was a cracking contest! The Aussies emulated their male counterparts by never, ever giving up. The Norwegians seemed slightly stronger for much of the match, but couldn't put away their chances. End to end stuff; incredible stamina from both sides - they just kept on running. One all at full time, and at the end of extra time. Penalties, which Norway won easily. Probably the right result, but a great game of football to watch.
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the tournament and don't care who wins, as long as they play good football.
    Well said.
    The Australian vs. Norway match was really exiting.
    Maybe German matches are boring to watch but their match plan is always the same.
    Avoid making mistakes and having the ball control.
    That was the fourth match in the tournament without getting a goal against us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post: