Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Thread: Everything Football (Soccer for you Americans)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    please keep wales either way

That hurts, it really hurts.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,748 Times in 2,388 Posts
    france are the first team through to the final, after a match against belgium in which they were probably the weaker side

whoever plays them in the final will be thankful to be facing the french rather than the belgians .....
    "i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    france v croatia will be the 2018 final

in a tournament that has seen favourites wilt and dark horses excel themselves, it will seem like a final of 2 teams with some outstanding players but also some very noticeable weak patches

it could make for a fascinating match, with the potential for errors to contribute to the result as much as brilliance .....

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,563 Times in 365 Posts
    It's really a pity that England did not made it to the finals. I guess it will now be a win for France! (Unless they underestimate the WILL of Croatia)

I did read somewhere, that there is only one croatian player who's playing in the Premier League. I guess that will change after the tournament is over.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to B-Force For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    some musings on the world cup .....

the world cup has a strange feel to it

international football, even tho it's a slightly less appealing beast than "proper" football, does serve to engender a spirit of nationalism or tribal pride - at the beginning, everyone is full of hope and expectation for their team - interest and hope are high, especially for people who don't normally concern themselves with the game

by the last day, it's really only the fans of 2 nations that are still more than passably interested - everyone else has already ridden the roller coaster and has been thrown off before the end of the ride - their fires have been quenched and they've moved on

the tournament itself kind of runs backwards, in that respect, with the interest falling away towards the business end, rather than being the other way around

i don't think the schedules are much help - having 2 or sometimes 3 matches a day during the early stages creates a crucible atmosphere - it all moves so fast and football is all there is - there's so much to cover, it appears all-consuming

by the last few rounds of matches, there are gaps appearing (by necessity, of course) when very few teams remian - the intensity goes away and people begin to lift their heads, look around and realize the world is going on around them outside of a referee's whistle

the whole shebang seems like a tournament in reverse somehow

the girlfriend quite likes the idea of catching the wimbledon mens final instead of the football today - i honestly won't feel aggrieved if the discussion goes her way

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 60,250 Times in 6,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    by the last day, it's really only the fans of 2 nations that are still more than passably interested - everyone else has already ridden the roller coaster and has been thrown off before the end of the ride - their fires have been quenched and they've moved on
    I think an exception would be when a host nation makes it to the finals.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,803 Times in 2,208 Posts
    France made it and they got their second star.Congrats.

I'm fascinating from Kylian Mbappe.Only 19yo and already a world cup winner.
    I see him as the legitimate follower from Messi and Ronaldo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 247,507 Times in 8,262 Posts
    That was a really good final, possibly the best I've ever seen. Two very good teams, playing very disciplined football with touches of brilliance. The scoreline doesn't really reflect the game - Croatia were not lucky. Their team was very down at the end, but tomorrow they will look back with pride as a country of only 4 million people is runner-up in the World Cup. That's the stuff of magic.
    France were probably the most complete team of the championship.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,164 Times in 2,951 Posts

Smile

French President Emmanuel Macron was on-hand Sunday at Moscow’s Luzhniki Stadium as Les Bleus bested Croatia in the final to claim their first World Cup triumph since 1998.

Macron was in a visibly jubilant mood as France stormed to a 4-2 win over a spirited Croatian team. Afterward, the president looked emotional as he individually hugged and congratulated each member of Didier Deschamps’ World Cup winning side and offered special congratulations to Kylian Mbappe, who garnered the award for best young player at the tournament.

Then apparently, he went back to the France locker room where the celebrations continued. It was there that France left back Benjamin Mendy taught the president how to dance the "dab".

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,164 Times in 2,951 Posts

Smile

sorry, yahoo deleted it
    Last edited by wildwest08; 07-15-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: sorry, yahoo deleted it :(

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post: