Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mega

Thanks
    Thanked 46,066 Times in 9,210 Posts
    A page redesign and crap speed. My 2 favorite things.

Thank heavens for warez places and 37 different filehosts to choose from.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"Innocence, torn from me without your shelter...
    Barred reality, I'm living blindly..."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    And in a stunning surprise to no one...

The end of Mega? Kim Dotcom tells users to back up files ĎASAPí
    By Justin Pot ó April 22, 2016

If youíve got files stored on Mega, back them up. Thatís according to founder Kim Dotcom, who is currently appealing extradition from New Zealand to the United States on copyright charges.

Mega gives 50GB of free encrypted cloud storage to anyone on Earth. Users willing to pay just over $9 a month get a staggering 4 terabytes. All data is encrypted, giving Mega legal deniability for any copyright infringement. The site is a spiritual successor to Megaupload, also founded by Dotcom, which was known to many internet user as a great place to watch pirated TV shows and movies.

Mega had to survive without a credit card payment processor for almost 2 years now. The air is getting thin. Backup your Mega files asap.

In a recent tweet, Dotcom explains that Mega is running out of money, in part because credit card processors wonít work with the company.

Dotcom, for those who donít remember, made headlines in 2012 for his bombastic response to the U.S. government shutting down the hugely popular file sharing site Megaupload. At one point, for example, he posted a music video/commercial where celebrities like P. Diddy, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, and Serena Williams all endorsed the site.

It was Ö not great. But itís typical of Dotcomís style: high-profile trolling of the music industry and the U.S. government. Users loved this sort of gesture, and the site itself, but authorities werenít pleased with repeated non-responses to copyright takedown notices.

Eventually Megaupload was shut down. Dotcom was arrested in a dramatic raid on his Auckland, New Zealand, mansion. This was a joint effort between New Zealand authorities, the FBI, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Hong Kong Department of Justice, and authorities from several other countries.

Ever since then, Dotcom has been appealing his case in the New Zealand court system, while also launching Mega. In December, however, New Zealand authorities ruled he was eligible to extradition to the United States.

This recent tweet implies that Mega might not be long for this world, as money runs out and government seizure looms. If youíve got files on Mega that you want to keep, download them soon.
    Code:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/mega-founder-kim-dotcom-back-up-files-asap/

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 60,424 Times in 6,975 Posts
    that doesn't sound too encouraging, though when it comes
    to the life-expectancy of a filehost, there is that old adage:
    "it ain't over 'til frosty has just paid for a subscription".

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I loved that bit about "Users willing to pay just over $9 a month get a staggering 4 terabytes".
    I seem to remember getting 500GB for about the same price and they must have added that after I was gone.

1fichier will probably be next.
    After jumping through the hoops I did to renew for the year, I doubt it's there for the long term
    and I imagine I'll be tossing everything in the garbage one day and starting over but it's working today.

I'm even thinking about just leaving the latest Doctor Who episodes that I have up on 1F after Mega dies and just not re-uploading the rest.
    Like the old Lexi threads, it gets old putting everything back up just to have to do it again in a year or two.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 438,274 Times in 12,913 Posts
    The demise of MEGA is a little exaggerated. Off the top Fat Boy's prediction is a bit off base as he no longer has or controls the current MEGA. The current MEGA is run totally by his former partner and they have no issues with payment as they have a dozen resellers that work just fine ever since they lost PayPal years ago. I've been paying by CC for a long time. Fat Boy may be saying this as he is supposedly going to make another MEGA if he can stay out of jail. Also since AdultKing and his crusade against anti-piracy shut down over a year ago..things are looking a bit brighter for filehosts and their staying afloat.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Foamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm dubious but it would be nice if the premiums were reinstated. I had like the better part of a year if I can remember that far back.

Megaupload 2.0 to Launch With Original Megaupload User Database.

Code:
    https://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-2-0-to-launch-with-original-megaupload-user-database-160708/
    “Most Megaupload accounts will be reinstated with Premium privileges on the new Megaupload,” Dotcom announced this morning.
    Edit: Just checked my old email and it was 3 months bought and 3 more free as they were having that buy one get one free deal.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 60,424 Times in 6,975 Posts
    what were the benefits of premium?

I recall the file retention being good (forever?) with the free account.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If I remember correctly (and it is possible I'm wrong) towards the end, they weren't letting you download at will like they used to.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: