Thread: Windows Update

Rock On, Gold Dust Woman Frosty's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,761 Times in 7,959 Posts

Windows Update

Any other Win7 users having issues trying to update..?

wuauserv (service) keeps running to the point my mother in law's computer was useless unless Windows update was set to off and never actually downloaded anything.
    Tried a few things over there, no luck and when I got home mine was like that too, so I'm guessing a system thing.
    Her processor is a basic one and it was pegging the CPU speed to pretty much 99%, and never did shut off until I deactivate updates and rebooted.
    Mine ran at a constant 25% and I ran the Win update screen for 15 minutes to find updates, and an hour to update but 0% had downloaded.

I did the usual things, virus/malware scans, Mr. Fix It, the Windows Update troubleshoot tool and nothing.
    Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

"Tell the believers and the non-believers. Tell them we’ve taken the spring.
    They can have it back when they pray for it."

- Mr. Wednesday

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,597 Times in 6,087 Posts
    just tried a few updates and it went through okay.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,526 Times in 2,071 Posts
    Have you checked the individual updates ? . Its not trying to update to Windows X ?
    Nice gals are nice ... Bad gals are much much better

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lagerlout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 228,034 Times in 7,169 Posts
    Set Windows Update to "Never". Manually check for updates. And post the list of the update numbers here (screnshot). There have been a number of dodgy ones recently, most of them related to Win X. And MS keeps pushing them out, one has been pushed out on 6 different occasions. Others will download Win X in the background just in case you want to upgrade. However, it is a multiple GB download that doesn't always complete!!

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sorry Misrule but I'm in the middle of it right now.

This morning (per advice), I shut down Windows update as a service and then I deleted all the files under SoftwareDistribution in my windows folder,
    rebooted and then ran updates, the files in the folder slowly rebuilt after 15 minutes or so and then gave me 13 updates (I just went with the required and not the recommended).
    It ran for about 15 minutes with no noticeable movement in the percentages until a few minutes ago and then it started working and downloading...

...and now it is restore pointing and installing, so if you don't hear from me after the reboot, I loved you all.

Sometimes my downloads require the use of Jdownloader 1 with Click 'n' Load or Jdownloader 2...

- Mr. Wednesday

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It worked. Updates updated.

I'm not even sure if the deleting the files in that folder meant anything.
    This weekend when I'm over at my Mother in law's, I'll just run the damn thing for an hour or so and see if anything good happens,
    and if not, I'll do to hers what I did to mine over here.
    I am back to my old "Check for updates but let me decide" setting and svchost.exe/wuauserv isn't going nuts so I guess that's a good sign.

It may just be that Windows isn't "prioritizing" some of us because we aren't 10 users.
    I've read some of the conspiracy theories but there's always a conspiracy theory with MS, so who do you believe ..?

- Mr. Wednesday

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Sometimes you get a corrupted download from WU and that will cause the problems you described. Deleting those files is the way to fix it.

FYI folks, one of my 3 systems has been running Win 10 since it became available (I gotta learn it to fix it for IT jobs ). I haven't had one glitch yet. I think I scared it into working for me.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I went ahead and worked on the Mother in law's computer tonight and after an hour and a half, it finally downloaded & installed them.
    It took about a half hour for the system to find the updates and the better part of an hour to download & install 27 updates of about 200MB.
    As I thought, I didn't have to delete any files out of the SoftwareDistribution folder this time.

I hope this is a temporary glitch or something and not Windows tactics to get us to upgrade to 10.
    (My computer could but hers is bare bones and can't upgrade. Her's is a little old lady computer.)

- Mr. Wednesday

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 54,597 Times in 6,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    ...Her's is a little old lady computer.
    you make it sound like it has doilies on all the flat surfaces.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post
    you make it sound like it has doilies on all the flat surfaces.
    There is actually a doily on top of it.

But I just meant it has onboard graphics, only 4GB of RAM and a single core AMD Sempron 145 Processor.
    It's fine if you are using it for web surfing, games like Yahtzee, Sorry & Wheel of Fortune
    but even running the Microsoft Security Essentials can eat up 50-75% of the processing power in this one.

It totally aggravates the hell out of me but it's her computer, so I keep it to myself mostly.

- Mr. Wednesday

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: