Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Things I Don't Understand

Thanks
    Thanked 250,606 Times in 8,399 Posts
    @Arbiec
    I started reading your post and got as far as "Safe Spaces Policies" before I got concerned. Combined with the frightening views you outlined it makes one wonder how we managed to lose civility, discussion, listening, respect, debate and agreeing to differ while valuing our differences. Unfortunately, what you found seems to be reflected in large chunks of our society. The SCOTUS hearing in the Senate is just the most recent example, but similarly entrenched, unlistening and hateful views are widely on show. I don't blame any of the groups (feminists, white supremacists, men, hobbits) but am concerned that we have polarised our societies and am not sure we know how to undo that so we can cooperate again for mutual progress.

"If there's war between the sexes then there'll be no people left
    Joe Jackson from a long time ago

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    @Arbiec
    I started reading your post and got as far as "Safe Spaces Policies" before I got concerned. Combined with the frightening views you outlined it makes one wonder how we managed to lose civility, discussion, listening, respect, debate and agreeing to differ while valuing our differences. Unfortunately, what you found seems to be reflected in large chunks of our society. The SCOTUS hearing in the Senate is just the most recent example, but similarly entrenched, unlistening and hateful views are widely on show. I don't blame any of the groups (feminists, white supremacists, men, hobbits) but am concerned that we have polarised our societies and am not sure we know how to undo that so we can cooperate again for mutual progress.

"If there's war between the sexes then there'll be no people left
    Joe Jackson from a long time ago
    Thanks Misrule,
    Between your sensible comments and the jokes from the everyone else, I find my faith in human beings slowly being restored.
    The safe space rules we have are usually a good thing, they are basically to make sure that all our students have a voice and everyone is entitled to air their views as long as it dosen't become personal or infringe the rights of someone else.
    I have come to realise that a major failing last night was mine. I was so frightened of being identified as an oppressive male presence that I failed to step in at points when I should have and then to balance that I later failed to step in when a male student also said things that I now see clearly infringed both our rules and the spirit of the evening.

I was there to be the rational voice that moderated the discourse, I failed and things got out of hand. Maybe the same thing is true of our society, if we consider ourselves rational and open minded, we need to speak out and not just watch in horror.

I promise to try to do better.

What I have seen of the SCOTUS confirmation hearings is a really good example, in their rush to take sides they seem to have forgotten there is a complainant and the accused, both of whom have rights. A full investigation is the only rational way to proceed. The reports we have had in the UK this morning of the hearings seem to have degenerated into a she says, he says argument that gets nobody closer to making a balanaced decision.

Love your quote too. Thank you

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,920 Times in 2,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    the jokes from the everyone else
    no jokes there from me, buddy boy, just an observation about statistical misrepresentation and how it can twist the issue into something else entirely

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    no jokes there from me, buddy boy, just an observation about statistical misrepresentation and how it can twist the issue into something else entirely

As in a standard Broken thread hijacking?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A new word (to me at any rate) - boofed

Can anyone translate for me, please?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A new word (to me at any rate) - boofed

Can anyone translate for me, please?
    The definition in the Urban Dictionary is not something I would want to try - it may get you really drunk but I think you would need to be very very drunk to try it in the first place :

From now on it shall be defined as 'being a jackass yet getting away with sexual assault whilst landing a huge promotion'

As in "I can't believe I got this job, I totally boofed it"

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,920 Times in 2,423 Posts
    boofed
    in the uk, or my small corner of it anyway, to boof is an onomatopeic term meaning to project force onto a secondary object, using the foot, causing movement in said object - or kicking

often heard in relation to soccer ...... "that player really boofed the ball - he must have a foot like a traction engine"

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,666 Times in 2,101 Posts
    I'll never understand why people, year after year, refuse to have their heat turned on in a timely efficient manner, instead saying, "No, I'll wait", when called and asked when colder weather is a week away.
    They'd clearly rather suddenly freeze and then call screaming "Now!" only to be told it'll be a day or two before I can get to them.

Every year. What was that Einstein said about insanity?

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 60,577 Times in 7,010 Posts
    cut to an '80s montage of Bond driving around town, turning on
    furnaces to Glenn Frey and The Heat is On.
    Last edited by defrabbit; 10-09-2018 at 03:28 PM.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    I'll never understand why people, year after year, refuse to have their heat turned on in a timely efficient manner, instead saying, "No, I'll wait", when called and asked when colder weather is a week away.
    They'd clearly rather suddenly freeze and then call screaming "Now!" only to be told it'll be a day or two before I can get to them.

Every year. What was that Einstein said about insanity?
    I think he said "Mein Gott, Switzerland is einfrieren ins winter und mein heizung is gebrochen, wo ist der ingenieur..... Ich gehen zu Princeton!"

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post: