Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Day ......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post

(the flowers last 24-48hrs)
    Beautiful! They seem to be rather big - some 5-6 inches I think? Do they smell?
    Just don't tell foecats I'm here

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to friendlycat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,476 Times in 5,549 Posts
    the bulk of it maintains a tighter trumpet shape, so maybe
    closer to 4-5inches. There is no perfume, but there is a
    definite "sweetness" to it.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yesterday established a new temperature record (9°C) – the warmest March 15 ever. The last snow, the first snowdrops, and the tulips exhibition in the local greenhouse.
    Defrabbit, there were some blooming cactuses there, but nothing as beautiful as yours, the bucket of dicks on the last photo gives some impression.

Last edited by friendlycat; 03-16-2015 at 08:03 AM.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to friendlycat For This Useful Post:

Fucking With The Fuckwits Jaguar7777's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,291 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Today I woke up and had to deal with an insurance company over some storm damage, nothing major, but as is always the case it's a bit like trying to get blood out of a stone. That done I settled down to drink my morning tea. At that point the phone rang, and it was a friend I had not seen in fifteen years who had managed to track me down. This was strange, because although the years have passed within seconds we were talking like we had seen each other only a week ago. I guess some friendships remain constant no matter how much water passes under the bridge. He reminded me of my songwriting days, he always played bass for Me/Us when we recorded anything to tape. That made me want to play a guitar, something I have not done for a long while, but I have minor arthritis in my left hand, and it causes me more pain than joy .... but hell ... I still miss playing ......

I quickly reminded myself how fame had never been my thing, and settled down to watch a couple of documentaries on Blu-Ray. I am still at the tale end of a Sinus infection, which I have now passed on to Toxic, Gee Whizz, I bet she is tickled with that .... not. Finished the last of the antibiotics and ate some yoghurt to make sure the little fucker didn't screw with my digestion. Simple tactic, but it works for me. Had a good meal, and then we both fancied a quiet evening, sharing Tissues and a bottle of Olbas oil. Isn't love wonderful?

Passed by the spare room late on and saw my Amplifier, Guitar cases and effects kit staring back at me ... my damn fingers itched like crazy. I wanted to belt out some blues ... very badly. Who knows ... maybe I'll drop some Naproxin and break in a new set of strings, or ... I'll just let that particular sleeping dog lie.

Logged into Broken before going to bed. Enjoyed Friendlycats pics ........

Jag. (Just another day older, son.)
    You Know Absolutely Nothing, So Kindly Keep It To Yourself.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaguar7777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,476 Times in 5,549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlycat View Post
    the bucket of dicks on the last photo gives some impression.
    I have one which is actually known as the "penis cactus"

I was looking it up online and apparently it contains psychoactive
    substances and some people ingest it to trip balls.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to defrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar7777 View Post
    He reminded me of my songwriting days, he always played bass for Me/Us when we recorded anything to tape. That made me want to play a guitar, something I have not done for a long while
    Wow! You were a musician and even a songwriter? This is extremely cool! I always envy people able to play music and (especially) sing. I love music, but when I try singing - birds die on the fly within 5 km radius, fishes and submarines emerge belly up, cows stop giving milk, national income goes into steep dive, gas tanks explode, cars crush and airplanes fall. Actually all that Chernobyl thing hppened when being inspired probably by some old Mario Lanza record I started singing "O Sole Mio". Each day after morning run my spirit goes high and I feel like singing, but I never do it and I consider this as the most invaluable contribution to well being of the humanity ever.

Quote Originally Posted by defrabbit View Post
    I was looking it up online and apparently it contains psychoactive
    substances and some people ingest it to trip balls.
    So that's how it looks! I always wanted to try mescaline, especially in the 80s when we discovered Castaneda books - photocopied and custom-binded. Until today I never tried it, although I had a lot of experience with Salvia before it was finally banned in Russia in 2011. In 40X concentration it is a serious thing that really blasts off the turret. But those who were introduced to Mr.Mescalito say it's similar, but still diferent.
    Last edited by friendlycat; 03-17-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Just don't tell foecats I'm here

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to friendlycat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlycat View Post
    Wow! You were a musician and even a songwriter? This is extremely cool! I always envy people able to play music and (especially) sing. I love music, but when I try singing - birds die on the fly within 5 km radius, fishes and submarines emerge belly up, cows stop giving milk, national income goes into steep dive, gas tanks explode, cars crush and airplanes fall. Actually all that Chernobyl thing hppened when being inspired probably by some old Mario Lanza record I started singing "O Sole Mio". Each day after morning run my spirit goes high and I feel like singing, but I never do it and I consider this as the most invaluable contribution to well being of the humanity ever.
    LOL

Yes, I trod the boards and wrote some songs, well .. actually, quite a few songs. And ... I had to do quite a lot of singing. I'd never planned to but on the opening night of the first band I joined, at a large dance hall, the singer called in sick. We had to share the task among us, so I was forced to take my turn. I am NO singer, but I was the main singer in every band I played in. Go figure. That first band on that first night ... I was fifteen years old.

My elder brother gave me an acoustic guitar when I was Twelve. I Took to it like a duck takes to water. I found I could play by ear, so I never learned to read music properly, and I guess I was very much self taught. If it wasn't for my bum hand, even today if I can hear it then I can probably play it. When I was about eighteen, one of my friends gave a tape of some of my songs to a recording studio. I got an invite to the studio, a memorable day because two guitarists of fame and fortune called in to record some material. I got to play on a couple of tracks ... uncredited, and I don't remember being paid anything. Then it came to my songs, and I could see that this was being taken very seriously. I backed off very quickly, the fame bug was not part of my repertoire. So ... the shot was there for the taking, but I walked away from it. I did get some studio work though, and I remember that very fondly. No regrets ....................

I played in various bands, including two of my own, until I reached thirty years of age. At that time, the music scene changed drastically, it was no longer about talent or ability, it bacame a huge marketing machine that IMO had little ethics and very little soul. From that time on I played only for myself, for the sheer pleasure of it. What had passed I enjoyed with all my heart, but there was so much of it that I couldn't go into detail here, it would simply bore you all to death.

I've lost count of the times I've stood on a stage, looked out at the people and walked up to the microphone only to hear the words, "Get your motor running ...." spill out from my mouth. I used to play "Walk don't run" a lot live, and it never got old, such a great instrumental. It was great when you could be playing with a responsive audience and could throw in things like, "That'll be the day" or "Drive my car" .... timeless stuff that everybody always seemed to enjoy. That said, I was probably at my best playing wise when it got bluesy or down and dirty. It's a wonder I still have my hearing.

Fame and Fortune? Nah .... not for me. What happened happened, and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. If I could go back I'd make the same choices all over again. So, me a musician? No, just a nobody who knew how to play a guitar.

Jag. (There is NOTHING like a set of new strings ....)

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaguar7777 For This Useful Post:

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,936 Times in 1,136 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds sort of familiar though I was 13 when I played my first real gig. My brothers had to guarantee the owners of clubs that they wouldn't let me anywhere near the alcohol between sets..... yeah right

I just played for the fun of it, nothing professional although I had some chances to do a few things. I preferred to concentrate on trying to establish a real career at the time as the music biz is extremely fickle.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,082 Times in 1,707 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar7777 View Post
    So, me a musician? No, just a nobody who knew how to play a guitar.
    sounds to me like you've just nailed it anyway

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sp88 View Post
    sounds to me like you've just nailed it anyway

Nailed it, lived the dream, wrote the book and starred in the movie ...................

Jag. (Surely I should be rich by now?)

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaguar7777 For This Useful Post: