Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Tennis

Thanks
    Thanked 17,877 Times in 3,407 Posts
    Roger.......lost.

I wonder if we'll see him again. He set another record for oldest in the quarters; I think he should retire. I think it'll only get worse from here.
    If he hangs around and makes me feel sorry for him I'll hate that. I already do a little bit.

But what do I know? I thought he should have retired at after winning the 2018 Australian Open. I still kinda think that. I hope he proves me wrong if he keeps playing.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yesterday I watched the Women's final, neither player made sounds as they hit the ball, were both good sports; it was a great match and I enjoyed it.

Today, in the Men's final, I'm watching Djokovic moan on every shot. Hope he loses

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 58,458 Times in 12,652 Posts
    Djokovic does seem to have the dominance thing going on right now.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Does anybody know how the story really goes, how the story really goes, or do we all just hum along..?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,317 Times in 333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    He is definitely the GOAT when it comes to hitting line judges accidentally.

All jokes aside, sincere congrats on him, Federer, and Nadal each reaching 20 major championships. I remember when Pete Sampras was the leader at 14 championships.

If only we had any good American men lol.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Djokovic is a machine sent from the future to destroy tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post

If only we had any good American men lol.
    I don't see it. America has institutionally failed tennis players - it's set up to where it's more beneficial to use tennis ability for a college scholarship, instead of turning pro. Europeans don't have this scholarship option so they turn pro as soon as possible; this is critical in development of players.
    I also think many potential American tennis champions instead spent the critical years in front of a gaming computer, or with their faces stuck in a cell phone.
    Sad.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Two unseeded women played in the final of the US Open today, and the one ranked 157th in the world won.
    Women's tennis in the pandemic and now post-Serena age is wide open.

Djokovic and Medvedev for the Men's final tomorrow. yawn. Not on tv, and I won't watch it anyway.

Roger is out having knee surgery, and this should be about it for him. He can't play at the top level anymore, and imo he should have quit sooner.

Maybe another player will come along to keep me interested, but for now tennis has lost it's mojo for me.

sad face.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 245 Posts
    I normally avoid tennis as it's pretty dull, and trying to distinguish the men & women has come down to the skirt for many, but I did watch just the end of the final and was surprised that it was 2 slightly built girls who weren't grunting like rutting dinosaurs at each other.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrC. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes the no grunting was great and allowed me to actually watch it; those unseeded women are awesome players. With Sharapova and Serena not in the picture the volume of women's tennis has gone down

With men it's the opposite, more and more are doing it now and matches are usually a grunt-fest. With Djokovic and Medvedev today it'll be in stereo. pass

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,317 Times in 333 Posts
    if Djokovic wins today, he'll be the first man since 1969 to have a calendar-year tennis Grand Slam. It would also give him 21 titles.

A lot is riding on this match.

Also...good grief. To give you a perspective of how much tennis has changed, in 1969, both the U.S Open and Australian Open were played on grass. U.S Open switched to hard surface in 1978 and the Australian Open switched in 1988. So Rod Laver won three tournaments on grass and one on clay (French Open).

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ....and Medvedev slaps down the Djokovic dream of a calendar slam in straight sets. Big disappointment for him, but not a big Djokovic fan so heehee
    Djokovic smashed a racket as usual and Medvedev choked and double faulted on several match points before the win - that was the only excitement in an otherwise stupefyingly boring match, I almost fell asleep watching the highlights.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post: