Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The NBA Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 49,415 Times in 10,072 Posts
    Daddy Ball's going to be whining his ass off later today if he isn't already.

Pelicans agree to trade Anthony Davis to Lakers for massive haul of young players...

It took months to happen, but it’s finally happened. The New Orleans Pelicans have agreed to a trade that will send superstar forward Anthony Davis to the Los Angeles Lakers for a large haul of young assets, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports.

Headlining the deal are point guard Lonzo Ball and forward Brandon Ingram. Also included are guard Josh Hart and a whopping three first-round picks, including this year’s fourth overall.

The Pelicans have agreed to a deal to trade Anthony Davis to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks – including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft, league sources tell ESPN.
    — Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) June 15, 2019

And just like that, one of the most prolonged NBA trade sagas in recent memory has come to a close.

With different negotiators on both sides, this trade might have come months earlier. But, obviously, things got complicated.

It all started in January when Davis’ agent Rich Paul very publicly announced that the star wanted to be traded to a championship contender, garnering a $50,000 fine form the NBA in the process. It soon became clear that Davis most desired the Lakers as a destination, where he could co-star alongside LeBron James for one of the league’s most storied franchises.

Negotiations with the Lakers were soon underway, with Los Angeles offering nearly every young player on its roster for Davis. After days of frosty negotiations, talks broke down and the Pelicans opted to wait until the offseason to trade Davis.

The failed trade talks left plenty of bad blood on both sides, with some speculation that the Pelicans went so far as to deliberately sabotage negotiations in retaliation for the Lakers’ perceived tampering with their star player. Sniping over who leaked what continued months after the matter came to a temporary close.

Pelicans general manager Dell Demps was eventually fired, while Lakers president Magic Johnson abruptly left the team days before the end of the regular season.

The trade saga also reportedly sowed distrust among the Lakers’ young core with LeBron James, who seemed quite ready to trade them at a moment’s notice. Now, James has his co-star, and all but a few of his younger teammates will be suiting up for the Pelicans or elsewhere next season.
    Code:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-davis-lakers-pelicans-trade-lonzo-223226393.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

You can use your illusion, let it take you where it may...
    We live and learn, and then, sometimes, it's best to walk away...
    Me, I'm just here hanging on, it's my only place to stay at least for now, anyway...
    I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kawhi and Paul George..? Not bad if it's true.

Sources: Kawhi Leonard agrees to sign with the Clippers

Not even a championship was enough to keep Kawhi Leonard in Canada.

Free-agent forward Kawhi Leonard has agreed to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Leonard’s decision was followed by another huge wave of news: The Clippers also reportedly agreed to a deal for Oklahoma City’s Paul George, giving Leonard a star partner with whom to pursue a title.

Leonard is coming off an all-time NBA playoff run that saw him lead the Toronto Raptors to Canada’s first NBA title.

A Southern California native who played college ball at San Diego State, Leonard will get a massive payday while looking to lead a third team to an NBA championship.

His arrival marks a new era of basketball not only with the Clippers, but in Los Angeles, as Leonard will share a stadium and the spotlight with the rival Lakers who now feature a pair of megastars in LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

For the Raptors, it’s a disappointing turn on the heels of the high of winning the NBA championship.

But when general manager Masai Ujiri dealt franchise cornerstone DeMar DeRozan to the San Antonio Spurs last summer for the package that featured Leonard, it was understood Toronto might be doing so for a one-year rental. That he delivered a championship was more than enough reward for for the risk incurred in the deal.

A three-time All-NBA player, two-time Finals MVP and two-time Defensive Player of the Year, Leonard was the clear-cut top prize of the free agency market after Kevin Durant suffered an Achilles tear in Game 5 of the Finals.

Coming off an injury-shortened season that saw him sit all but nine games in 2017-18 with a mysterious quad injury that led to his eventual split with the Spurs, Leonard returned to the court in Toronto for his best season as a pro.

He averaged a career-high 26.6 points and 7.3 rebounds in the regular season along with 3.3 assists and 1.8 steals while shooting 49.6 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from 3-point distance.

During his playoff run that included one of the greatest shots in NBA history to sink the Philadelphia 76ers in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, Leonard stepped up his game, posting averages of 30.5 points, 9.1 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 1.7 steals.

Concerns lingered in 2018 how Leonard would return from an injury that cost him most of his final season with the Spurs.

Having leveled those concerns and now sitting in the midst of his prime at 28 years old, Leonard’s only basketball worry now is furthering his standing in the pantheon of NBA greats and pursuing more titles.
    Code:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-kawhi-leonard-agrees-to-sign-with-the-clippers-055840600.html

Me, I'm just here hanging on, it's my only place to stay at least for now, anyway...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 247 Posts
    Jerry West is a fucking genius. He still has it. The Lakers are going to rue the day that they let him join the Clippers instead. He literally offered to take a role there around 2016 or so but they declined. I know Clippers fans were almost beside themselves when they traded Blake Griffin away, but it looks like it paid off. The Logo knows what he's doing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Persephone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,149 Times in 2,662 Posts
    many congratulations to dj cooper .....
    "i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: