Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Believers... you can't have it both ways.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,152 Times in 320 Posts
    A wise man once said that religion is rather like a man with a large dick. It's fine for him to have one and you can see why he is proud of it but you don't want him trying to shove it down your throat all the time.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pupsy For This Useful Post:

Fucking With The Fuckwits Jaguar7777's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,310 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pupsy View Post
    A wise man once said that religion is rather like a man with a large dick. It's fine for him to have one and you can see why he is proud of it but you don't want him trying to shove it down your throat all the time.
    Oh ... I don't know about that. I've met a few guys who would beg for such thing. Some of them would see it as their sexual act of the century. Some of them would gag loudly and wallow in the humiliation.

Mind you, I don't think any of them were named, God.

Jag. (If there is a laugh to be had, I'm grabbing it.)
    You Know Absolutely Nothing, So Kindly Keep It To Yourself.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jaguar7777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Atheist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    ^^ Wicked ^^

Jag. (Loves a good laugh ...)

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaguar7777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 558 Posts
    Careful, I resemble that remark about religion & Christianity being most suited for the mentally unstable. lol. I don't consider the old testament as a part of Christianity, or at least not most of it any way. To me, it's mostly just a history of God and his religious/spiritual people from the beginning. Because Christianity didn't begin until the death of Christ. There was a much different way of life back then, and there for a much different way of looking at things back then too.

And so God had different values & such, to teach to the people of that time. So that's what the old testament was about. Like in the old one, there was the saying "an eye for an eye". But in the new one, that changed to be "turn the other cheek". Just as you would sacrifice an animal to be cleansed of your sins in the old. But only had to ask Jesus for forgiveness in the new. Though somethings from the old, still remained the same. Such as the 10 commandments & the 7 deadly sins parts.

Even though I consider myself an agnostic. I feel the same way about God & the bible, as I do about love. To me, both rely on trust and faith. Because other then by actions, scientifically you can't prove either one of them exist. You cant see either of them with your eyes, or touch them with your hands. But you certainly know one or the other is there, because you can feel it in your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokemon View Post
    My main issue with Christianity as a religion is that all humans are born with an original sin and must be redeemed. This is more about leverage over the individual by those claiming to have the power to redeem. It doesn't matter if the person has been good their whole lives, they are still guilty of that original sin and can be denied redemption unless they do as they are told. Classic cult type manipulation.

Another is their obsession with the end of the world. Christianity is a Dooms Day Cult. If the future of the planet is already decided and it's going to end, so why bother creating, building or planning for the future? If they are so sure that Armageddon is going to happen in their lifetimes, then why are fundamentalists so worried about who's going to win the next election?

Now all religions have their issues, but Christianity seems to be the one most suited for the mentally unstable. Their holy book is itself has a split personality, old testament vs new, angry vicious god/kind loving god. This gives it's followers the delusion that they can have two sets of rules. One for themselves and another for everyone else.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to iamm For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Point / Counter-point

Hello tntroy61. Your reply is very much appreciated. Most of what you say I am very familiar with. I have had many discussions regarding the contents of your post.

My counter-point would go back to the thread title... you can't have it both ways. Without the old testament, there is no reason for Jesus to save us from our sins nor are there any prophecies to fulfill.

Many people say that they dismiss much of the Old Testament, but they still quote text of scriptures that Jesus supposedly fulfilled, or other texts that support their beliefs or point of view. Then, when questioned, they ignore or dismiss verses that are not inline with their thinking. That is cherry-picking.

Perfect example:

I see what you mean about "God / Love", but Love is not an entity and it isn't considered a source of authority. Although I would generally agree that you can't scientifically prove that love exists, I would definitely debate that you can scientifically give very good evidence that "love" probably exists once you define or designate some parameters. That is not true for the God of the bible.

BTW - The ten commandments are bunk... thanks Foamy. I haven't watched that in a while.
    Last edited by Atheist; 11-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atheist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,877 Times in 2,415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    Without the old testament, there is no reason for Jesus to save us from our sins nor are there any prophecies to fulfill.
    nowadays, the view of the roman catholic church (which represents over 50% of christianity globally) is that the old testament is to be taken allegorically rather than literally
    backpedalling? - you might think so, i couldn't possibly comment

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Dork Lord of the Sith DarthTater's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Of course they can have it both ways. According to christianity, you can be both Pregnant AND a Virgin.
    ---------------------------------------------
    "There's a darkness upon me that's flooded in light.
    In the fine print they tell me what's wrong from what's right.
    It comes in Black and it comes in White and I'm frightened
    by those who don't see it."

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarthTater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "I'm a Believer, I couldn't leave her ... if I tried ...... "

Wrong Thread?

Well ....... shit.

Jag. (Could have sworn this was about the Monkees ....... )

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaguar7777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 558 Posts
    I just don't understand why some people are so against religion & or God ( the almighty being in the sky ) I mean as long as they aren't trying to convert me, which very few have ever attempted to. What's the big deal? People like to say most of the wars in this world have been over religion. But mostly it's not true. Maybe partially they were. But mostly war is always about power, money, & or land/resources first. Just like I think it's absolutely funny how the GOP claims to be the party of God. yet almost everything that they stand for ( or are against ), is/goes against things that are/were taught in the bible. And I think when it comes to fear, that everyone is afraid at one time or another. Some people just are afraid to let it show that they are. Like it will make them less of a person if they did.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iamm For This Useful Post: