Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast

Thread: The Weather Channel

Thanks
    Thanked 45,679 Times in 9,103 Posts
    Okay, the rain's stopped but that was fairly scary.

The water actually got up to a couple of inches from the top of the foundation.
    It's too late to climb up on a wet roof to check if any of that hail did any damage but no leaks so far and the cars are in a car port, so they skipped any hail damage.

Front and backyards are showing no ground at all and I can't see the road, sidewalks or curb either.
    Any large trucks going by look like motorboats leaving a wake behind them.

Oh, and our back room that has the washer and dryer are full of kitties. (Maybe about 6 in there and there are more on the front porch.)
    That hail hit and I opened the back door and yelled for them to get in here and there was only one objection and the rest came in.

Food, water and a temporary litter box and as soon as some backyard reappears, I'll let them out.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

"Don't let me hear you say life's taking you nowhere, angel..."

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,494 Times in 2,068 Posts
    My brother is in a mandatory evacuation zone in Summerville, South Carolina, but is going to ride the hurricane out.

He's got a generator and lots of beer.

I've ridden out a 2 and it was fairly bad, I wouldn't hang around for a 3 or higher. Florence is a 4 now, but it won't hit until Thursday so who knows.

Good Luck, bro.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,302 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Well, as of now, they're shifting the track more northward. As far as I see they're still planning to reverse I 26 out of Charleston to all westbound traffic at noon tomorrow. If you go, you ain't coming back the easy way.

If I had a Cat 4 heading directly at me, I would leave. I went down to Hilton Head SC a year after Hugo hit Charleston. When you got to the Charleston area of I 95 which is 50 miles inland, all you saw was bare tree trunks on either side of the highway for quite a distance. Hugo ripped the tops off of the trees and stripped all the branches off 50 miles inland . Makes you think twice about wanting to hang around if a Cat 4 hurricane is heading your way.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Well, as of now, they're shifting the track more northward. As far as I see they're still planning to reverse I 26 out of Charleston to all westbound traffic at noon tomorrow. If you go, you ain't coming back the easy way.

If I had a Cat 4 heading directly at me, I would leave. I went down to Hilton Head SC a year after Hugo hit Charleston. When you got to the Charleston area of I 95 which is 50 miles inland, all you saw was bare tree trunks on either side of the highway for quite a distance. Hugo ripped the tops off of the trees and stripped all the branches off 50 miles inland . Makes you think twice about wanting to hang around if a Cat 4 hurricane is heading your way.

I went through 105mph winds, it made the windows flex as if they were about to go. 130+ would take them out and flood your home unless securely covered with thick plywood.

The more northward track is good for my brother, he may miss the worst of it. Hope for the best for the people in harm's way.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 247,542 Times in 8,266 Posts
    Just watching the hurricane forecast on the NOAA website. Looks nasty for the Carolinas; very nasty.

And, America, please keep the hurricanes on your side of the Atlantic. Helene is coming straight for us (according to the forecast) and the unnamed one hovering in the middle of the North Atlantic is due to follow. Thanks, yankees! Won't be damaging, probably, but we live right on the sea so any storm is of concern.

These people who don't evacuate and decide to stay in their properties? I'm torn between admirination for their bravery, determination, endurance; and despair for their stupidity. Can't decide which is stronger...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,302 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Foamy and I decided that it's time to spread the wealth around this year.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post
    And, America, please keep the hurricanes on your side of the Atlantic. Helene is coming straight for us (according to the forecast) and the unnamed one hovering in the middle of the North Atlantic is due to follow. Thanks, yankees! Won't be damaging, probably, but we live right on the sea so any storm is of concern.
    Just remember what the religious right says over here. If a hurricane hits your liberal area, it's because God is punishing your sins,
    unless you are in a conservative area which means God is just testing your faith.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Florence is apparently a Category 2 now as it hits the NC coast. I feel better. Much better than a 4.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,803 Times in 2,208 Posts
    summer again.....but just for a few days.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We've had a nice light steady rain here for pretty much the whole day.
    Tomorrow's supposed to be scattered thunderstorms and isolated thunderstorms on Friday.

Slowly but surely, the temps are creeping down a bit during the daytime.

A couple of nights last week, I turned off the swamp cooler/AC about 2 or 3 AM and it stayed off for about 6 hours or so.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post: