Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast

Thread: The NFL Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 16,098 Times in 2,981 Posts
    Ha. Mr. Tuilagi, though large and I certainly wouldn't look at him cross-eyed, doesn't quite measure up when compared to the average NFL lineman. At 6'-1" and 282 pounds, he might be a running back or receiver or a defensive end if he's fast enough.

"The average guard, tackle, or center in the NFL in 2015 is 6-foot-5, 312 pounds. Of the 159 players who have started at least four games as an offensive lineman since the start of the 2014 season, only 23 weigh less than 300 pounds and 39 weigh at least 320 pounds.Sep 13, 2015"

Although I do note, as an exception, Aaron Donald is 6'-1" and 284; so that would be a well matched bout

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,956 Times in 11,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiec View Post
    This Samoan gentleman is Henry Tuilagi. He's called 'the butcher', he's never heard of pads and helmets and he has brothers.

Discuss
    When he plays at full contact speed with people of his own size, wake me up.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Baby hair with a woman's eyes, I can feel you watching in the night..
    All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight, when I feel cold you warm me...
    When I feel I can't go on you come and hold me, it's you and me forever...

Sara Smile, won't you smile a while for me?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    When he plays at full contact speed with people of his own size, wake me up.
    When American Football players play like this without the girly pads - then we can talk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    Ha. Mr. Tuilagi, though large and I certainly wouldn't look at him cross-eyed, doesn't quite measure up when compared to the average NFL lineman. At 6'-1" and 282 pounds, he might be a running back or receiver or a defensive end if he's fast enough.

"The average guard, tackle, or center in the NFL in 2015 is 6-foot-5, 312 pounds. Of the 159 players who have started at least four games as an offensive lineman since the start of the 2014 season, only 23 weigh less than 300 pounds and 39 weigh at least 320 pounds.Sep 13, 2015"

Although I do note, as an exception, Aaron Donald is 6'-1" and 284; so that would be a well matched bout
    Yes, but that weight spends most of its time standing around.

Average distance an American Football Player covers in a game - 1.25 miles (which includes the Receivers and Cornerbacks)
    Average actual 'playing time' in American Football - 11 minutes

Average distance a Rugby player covers in a match - 4.5 Miles
    Average actual 'playing time' in a Rugby Match 35 minutes

Average distance a Football (Soccer) player covers in a match - 7 Miles
    Average actual 'playing time' in a Football match - 67 minutes

American Football is more an opportunity for ad breaks and standing around than a sport

(only kidding by the way, I like just about any sport - which is why I spent the last Winter Olympics cheering for Curling, and why I am currently watching the Tour De France)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,190 Times in 2,864 Posts
    jeez, you guys

i post one innocent little jokey post ......

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,098 Times in 2,981 Posts
    ^ you instigator, you

It would be interesting to take NFL and Rugby players and switch sports with them, and see how it works out. Probably too different of sports for any meaningful comparison though.
    Arbiec is right in that a 330 lb offensive tackle wouldn't be sprinting up and down the field, while in turn it would be fun to watch a rugby player try to keep Aaron Donald out of the backfield or cover Odell Beckham, Jr.
    Again, too different to compare.

There is one telling statistic. 12 professional rugby players have died in a game, vs. 1 in the NFL. So rugby is more dangerous.

I think it's the visuals, too. NFL games look like huge robots smashing each other, while rugby looks like guys in shorts running about having a lark.
    And what's with those big piles of sweaty guys in shorts? Wth are they doing in there?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 53,956 Times in 11,272 Posts
    Or we can start a conversation about soccer and switch it to rugby when y'all start losing and pretend it means the same thing.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Baby hair with a woman's eyes, I can feel you watching in the night..
    All alone with me and we're waiting for the sunlight, when I feel cold you warm me...
    When I feel I can't go on you come and hold me, it's you and me forever...

Sara Smile, won't you smile a while for me?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,506 Times in 1,836 Posts
    I played Rugby in college and coached my daughter's Rugby team to 3 state championships.

I was a fly half back then when I used to be able to run. You can be small and fast if you have quick feet and can cut and not get whacked that much.

The thing with Rugby is that you have to tackle high above the waist. You tackle too low and it's the sin bin for you. And yeah, they do call it the sin bin, same thing as the penalty box in hockey.

Argue with a ref, you'll be in the sin bin or get thrown out and you have to call refs Sir or Maam when you talk to them.

All part of the protocols they demand in that game.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,190 Times in 2,864 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The thing with Rugby is that you have to tackle high above the waist. You tackle too low and it's the sin bin for you.
    found this quite fascinating

when i was taught rugby in school (as a prop), we were always told the tackle had to be low down - anything around or near the head was obviously forbidden, but tackles below the waist were encouraged, with a circling of the thighs the most effective way to tackle - this was obviously a long time ago so it may all have changed since then

i know there is more than one code of rugby on our shores - i wouldn't know any variant of the rules elsewhere

it's probably the convoluted set of laws or rules or whatever rugby has that holds it back from being more widely followed

edit: when checking out a couple of things to make sure i wasn't getting it hopelessly wrong, i discovered several stories that rugby union is thinking of trialling a ban on tackles above the waist
    Last edited by sp88; 09-15-2020 at 02:13 AM.
    "i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BondJmsBond View Post
    It would be interesting to take NFL and Rugby players and switch sports with them, and see how it works out. Probably too different of sports for any meaningful comparison though.
    I seem to remember they did something like that when they were trying to build an American Football franchise in London. It was late 80's early 90's I think, the Franchise was called London Fire and it died after a year or so - just too early before the interest had build up enough. I can't recall how the switch panned out but Channel 4 ovr here swapped some players from an NFL team with some Rugby Union players to see how they got on. Will have to see if I can find an archive copy of it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I played Rugby in college and coached my daughter's Rugby team to 3 state championships.

I was a fly half back then when I used to be able to run. You can be small and fast if you have quick feet and can cut and not get whacked that much.

The thing with Rugby is that you have to tackle high above the waist. You tackle too low and it's the sin bin for you. And yeah, they do call it the sin bin, same thing as the penalty box in hockey.

Argue with a ref, you'll be in the sin bin or get thrown out and you have to call refs Sir or Maam when you talk to them.

All part of the protocols they demand in that game.
    Fly Half and Scrum half are the royalty of the game, sort of like two halfs of a quarterback in AF so hats off to you, only the talented players get those positions.
    The rules on tackling are currently nothing from the neck up (high tackle) to cut down on those fatalities and broken necks that we were getting too many of; you can go as low as you like but not high.
    If memory serves you are bang on about the Sin Bin, it was stolen directly from Ice Hockey - the Soccer system of Yellow cards is pointless and a sending off for a red card effectively hands the game to the opposition. Hockey's system suits a game like Rugby where offences are likely to happen and must be punished without killing the spectacle.

As for Frosty's statement about me trying to switch the topic......damn! busted! you got me! It's a fair cop guv.
    Last edited by Arbiec; 09-15-2020 at 03:40 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post: