Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Broken? (Coronavirus Version)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,509 Times in 2,854 Posts
    Here's a cheery thought, you've heard of the 6 degrees of separation theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

Apply that to a pandemic, open 6 public doors and you've held hands with everybody in the world. Not exactly, but you get the idea.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 1,801 Posts
    My company does tech support for several companies that provide essential services so we are considered essential as well. My daughter started out doing the testing for this thing and is now essentially playing the role of assistant supervisor helping to troubleshoot problems that techs have and get results out. They are paying double time for all overtime now to everyone that wants to work it. My better half works for a company that makes healthcare equipment that is needed.

I really feel terrible that so many people are out of work already and help should be made available for every one of them who finds themselves out of a job through no fault of their own. As I have said elsewhere, contingency plans should have been in place at the federal level, they should have been activated right when this started in China and everything that we hear that of that the medical system is short on should have been ramped up and ready to go by now.

Our companies had contingency plans for a number of issues that might come up and when it looked like it was possibly going to be an issue, we started ramping on certain things we need to have in place in case it got out of hand. If we can do it, so can they if they were paying attention.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    M As I have said elsewhere, contingency plans should have been in place at the federal level, they should have been activated right when this started in China and everything that we hear that of that the medical system is short on should have been ramped up and ready to go by now.

Our companies had contingency plans for a number of issues that might come up and when it looked like it was possibly going to be an issue, we started ramping on certain things we need to have in place in case it got out of hand. If we can do it, so can they if they were paying attention.
    Russia closed their borders Jan. 30th, and may be able to contain the virus, but probably not. Still late by a month as China notified WHO December 31, 2019. - that seems so long ago now, doesn't it? That was also late by a month as reports say the Chinese hid it, and it's seriousness, for a month.

Borders now closing across the world, way too late.

Hiding culpability, foot-dragging, 'racism', perceived political advantage, unthinking greed, plain stupidity. and here we are.

Maybe next time this happens we'll react the way we should, but I wouldn't count on it.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,579 Times in 696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbojr View Post
    Have any of your jobs shut down? Our house is jobless as of monday
    Sorry to hear that.
    VPN technology is a great thing and that is what is keeping me going right now.
    However, there is a good chance that I may not be allowed to WFH at any time.
    Not sure what I am going to do then.
    Play my h/x265 videos with MPC-HC 1.7.9 or VLC 2.2.1

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Poisonous Fungus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,963 Times in 10,970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    but I doubt my temp carnival job happens this year with it only being a month away (April 16-26) so there's lost money.
    ...and in a "I'm not a bit surprised" sort of way.

Code:
    https://www.kgun9.com/news/coronavirus/pima-county-fair-canceled-over-coronavirus-concern
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses...

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

High Priestess of The Classics Jenny's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 1,801 Posts
    Netflix and Youtube are reducing resolution on everything in Europe in an attempt to relieve the stress on the net over there. There have been concerns voiced over capacity here in the US and Verizon has commercials on TV saying they're adding capacity.

People have been complaining about companies not adding more capacity but just taking profits for a while too and reports that the entire net is stressed because of it. Let's hope the companies have been listening and adding for a while now.

sig courtesy of B.Bubba

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Trying to find something good, gas prices will be at historic lows. Driving once congested roads is suddenly a breeze. When did that last happen? Good for truckers as they have to be out there anyway.

This will change our society, perhaps for a long time. I think history will henceforth be divided into pre and post covid-19 eras.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,963 Times in 10,970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Netflix and Youtube are reducing resolution on everything in Europe in an attempt to relieve the stress on the net over there. There have been concerns voiced over capacity here in the US and Verizon has commercials on TV saying they're adding capacity.

People have been complaining about companies not adding more capacity but just taking profits for a while too and reports that the entire net is stressed because of it. Let's hope the companies have been listening and adding for a while now.
    The f*cking "weekend warriors" are now everyday internet people like us.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses...

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,778 Times in 3,420 Posts

Smile

been working at home, most production on hold here

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just back from grocery. No bread no tp no kleenex no paper towels very little meat. Limited to 3 max of anything.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post: