Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You Broken? (Coronavirus Version)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,324 Times in 3,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misrule View Post

That sounds like better news, but then why am I getting contradictory information from my own cities' covid site like the one I referred to? Why, when I call my drug store, do they say there are no appointments available and they don't know when there will be? Why are my neighbors and other friends unable to get an appointment either? It's not just me, buddy.
    That article paints a rosy picture but doesn't seem to meet with the reality on the ground here.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 04-13-2021 at 10:47 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 316,827 Times in 10,663 Posts
    ^ I don't understand it, either. Looks like two different places.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It does. Looking further, availability for all those 16+ has been announced, but not actually done because so many in the vulnerable groups have still not been vaccinated.
    This explains it:
    https://www.santafenewmexican.com/ne...c1fe1b67b.html

"“We opened up the opportunities for everyone 16 and over because of our success in getting the majority of New Mexicans in those early phases vaccinated,” David Morgan, a spokesman for the state Department of Health, wrote in an email. “That’s not to say we’re done. Those still not vaccinated from the earlier phases will still be our priority to vaccinate.”

The state’s announcement caused some concern and confusion among area residents like Michael Schwarz, 68, who is still waiting for his shots.

“Why are they opening the floodgates when they haven’t even called people like me in my ancient age group?” asked Schwarz, a Santa Fe attorney. “Really makes no sense.”"

..and that's why we can't get appointments. Perhaps the Smashing Success of New Mexico was more hype than substance, since, I'm hearing about 16+ general public people from other states having already had theirs while we here in NM, not so much.
    Sure made the governor look good though.

Two different places, indeed.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I read now that, more than likely, we're all gonna need to get vaccinated for COVID once every year. And that the doses we're all getting, regardless of the vaccine's brand, only protect us for 6 months.

Here's the whole story

U.S. preparing for 1-year COVID-19 booster shots; Pfizer chief sees need

Published Thursday, April 15, 2021 2:21PM EDTLast Updated Thursday, April 15, 2021 6:44PM EDT

The United States is preparing for the possibility that a booster shot will be needed between nine to 12 months after people are initially vaccinated against COVID-19, a White House official said on Thursday.

While the duration of immunity after vaccination is being studied, booster vaccines could be needed, David Kessler, chief science officer for President Joe Biden's COVID-19 response task force told a congressional committee meeting.

"The current thinking is those who are more vulnerable will have to go first," he said.

Meanwhile, Pfizer Inc Chief Executive Albert Bourla said people will 'likely' need a third booster dose of COVID-19 vaccines within 12 months and could need annual shots, CNBC reported based on his comments from April 1, which were made public on Thursday.

Initial data has shown that vaccines from Moderna Inc and partners Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE retain most of their effectiveness for at least six months, though for how much longer has not been determined.

Even if that protection lasts far longer than six months, experts have said that rapidly spreading variants of the coronavirus and others that may emerge could lead to the need for regular booster shots similar to annual flu shots.

The United States is also tracking infections in people who have been fully vaccinated, Rochelle Walensky, director of the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention told the House subcommittee hearing.

Of 77 million people vaccinated in the United States, there have been 5,800 such breakthrough infections, Walensky said, including 396 people who required hospitalization and 74 who died.

Walensky said some of these infections have occurred because the vaccinated person did not mount a strong immune response. But the concern is that in some cases, they are occurring in people infected by more contagious virus variants.

Earlier this month, Pfizer and partner BioNTech said their vaccine was around 91% effective in preventing COVID-19, citing updated trial data that included more than 12,000 people fully inoculated for at least six months.
    This definitely keeps getting better and better......
    I wonder about the safety and possible long-term effects these vaccines may have over time. And if people will bother getting vaccinated every year.
    Some people no longer even do the regular flu vaccine anymore, and are fairly skeptical about these vaccines. Let alone trying to get these people vaccinated every year for COVID.
    It's not like getting vaccinated for poliomyelitis, where you only get 1 vaccine in your lifetime, and you're done.
    This definitely feels like a pain in the butt, literally.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soldado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's getting closer. Our neighbours got their first dose; friends got their's (they're in their 70's). We're expecting to get our first dose in the next few weeks.

I used to ignore the flu vaccine but as I get older and with some health issues, I've been getting it every year. I'll do the same with the Covid-19 one, if it's there.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 59,245 Times in 12,899 Posts
    I did get my flu vaccine back in September but I never started worrying about stuff like that until I got older.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint...
    And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud...
    And you don't know how it feels...
    You don't know how it feels to be me...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have done the flu vaccine for about 10 years now, but I took a calculated risk and skipped it this last winter.
    I figured with isolation/masks/distancing many people will not have flu compared to previous years, I've isolated well and have very little contact with others (no wife or kids). In addition I figured to go to my drugstore and get the flu shot from a person who sees dozens of people - some maybe sick people - every day was an inordinate risk of covid, which might kill me, in comparison. No flu so far, knock on wood.
    Last edited by BondJmsBond; 04-16-2021 at 05:09 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 59,245 Times in 12,899 Posts
    I got mine last winter because I figured that with my luck, the covid I had wouldn't kill me but the flu would.
    With all the preexisting conditions, I wasn't pressing my luck.
    My HEVC/H.265/x265 videos can be played with either VLC or MPC-HC

But let me get to the point, let's roll another joint...
    And turn the radio loud, I'm too alone to be proud...
    And you don't know how it feels...
    You don't know how it feels to be me...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frosty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's been years since I done the regular flu vaccine.
    I rarely catch the flu, and i'm still young (only 32). So I don't feel the need to do it as, fortunately, I don't have any significant condition.
    My father, on the other hand, even with COVID, he did get his shot according to the doctor's recommendation, last year. Though, up till his late 50s, he didn't do it for a long time.
    But there still are people, even in their late 70s, who skip it.

About the COVID vaccine, If we all gonna need a shot or 2 a year in order to be protected, or else we're gonna be confined, again, in our houses, so be it. I'll do it.
    But the main question is: what are the damages that these vaccines do over-time? Are they gonna weak our immune system overtime or what?
    That's probably the main question people have in regards to these vaccines, regardless of how effective they are.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soldado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldado View Post
    But the main question is: what are the damages that these vaccines do over-time? Are they gonna weak our immune system overtime or what?
    That's probably the main question people have in regards to these vaccines, regardless of how effective they are.
    So far, there are two types of vaccine - the mRNA ones (BioNTech and Moderna) and the adenovirus based ones (AstraZeneca and Janssen). All are using a small piece of the "spike" protein from the surface of the Sars Cov 2 virus to trigger the immune system to make antibodies. That's all. There shouldn't be any long term effects on your immune system, apart from antibodies and T Cells that recognise the particular virus.
    There are some very rare side effects (blood clots) of the AZ (and, probably Janssen) vaccine that affect less than one in 100,000 people. There is some understanding of the mechanism and there is treatment to prevent serious illness or death. I expect that in a few months they will have figured who is at risk and will exclude them from using this vaccine.
    The mRNA vaccines have not show any significant side effects, just short term ones like swelling at the injection site, flu like symptoms for a day or two.
    Compared to other medicines, vaccines, drugs, these are amazingly effective and safe. I wouldn't hesitate to get any of the 4 that have been approved.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misrule For This Useful Post: