Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Leads in Video Games, Movies and TV

Thanks
    Thanked 9,015 Times in 1,528 Posts

Female Leads in Video Games, Movies and TV

When did writers forgot to write for them? Do you remember Ripley saying she would beat the Alien because she's a women? Remember when Sarah Connor said only a girl can beat the Terminator? WTF, the newest batwoman TV spot is awful, the Captain Marvel I'm just a girl ending is awful. The writers can not seem to get the fact that we the general public know what a girl looks like, I don't mind a female protagonist, in fact I normally pick a female lead when the option is given, but today they make them badass not because they made themselves badass but because they're a woman. WTF, Rey from Star Wars is written weakly I mean poof you're a Jedi with no work needed even Darth fucking Vader had to work at it. I know there is a ton of assholes that shun female leads but they're asshole so fuck them their losers. WTF, Lara Croft is a great example for this in the games the opposition is trying to capture her because she is great at what she does and never did I see her mention I'm great because I'm a wee little lass. WTF, The SJWs of the world need jobs or a hobby because I for one am sick of this "I'm offended for some reason" bullshit why does it matter if a white guy leads the newest Star War game coming up the last lead was a minority, why are all white men evil? WTF, Fuck off with this fake bullshit if you don't want to watch something then don't watch it but fuck off first. The latest Ghostbusters movie was bad because the writers fucking failed I mean really a original script would of been nice but screw that lazy writing will work just fine. WTF, People today are idiots and not just the bigots, not just the sexists but fucking every day people are just stupid and just like my opinion isn't needed SJWs opinion isn't needed. WTF, writers need to write and fuck opinions, just write damn it we want to see our leads figure out how to be, work to be and become badass without agendas, we don't need agendas because that ruins everything. I had more but nobody needs to hear it.

†

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bilbojr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,037 Times in 3,302 Posts
    my two cents

what you see on the large and big screens is totally dependent on what makes money in the marketplace

that is both good and bad

things cycle in and out

and while every single type of story and who's in it has and is still being written,
    it's not the writers, the creators, to blame

money talks, as it always has, entertainment is a business, pure and simple

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    In my opinion it is the writers, producers and directors, if they did their jobs right they would make a ton more money, there is no legacy money in my examples. Batwoman will be cancelled mid season unless the writing is good.

†

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bilbojr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,050 Times in 2,613 Posts
    It's the priority of the 'message' instead of just making good entertainment that ruins it. Politicizing everything sucks. and ww is right, follow the money.

Look at the dislikes here, and read the comments. - over 86,000 of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIiPcv4_iY

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BondJmsBond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,037 Times in 3,302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbojr View Post
    In my opinion it is the writers, producers and directors, if they did their jobs right they would make a ton more money, there is no legacy money in my examples. Batwoman will be cancelled mid season unless the writing is good.
    of course, good writing will always win out, but wish there was more of it

if I could comment on Batwoman

it's the same old "money talks" unfortunately

the Studios and Networks are totally scared to put any money into anything new,
    their jobs are on the line if what they themselves greenlit bombs and/or isn't
    a huge summer blockbuster

why you get nothing but remakes ad infinitum

why you get Superhero/Marvel/whatever done over and over again

and the only way remake hell will stop is if people don't flock to them, sad to say they still will it seems

so it's really unfortunately not about the writing after all
    (and writers will write crap if it pays the rent)
    Last edited by wildwest08; 05-26-2019 at 06:11 PM.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wildwest08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 232 Posts
    It does sometimes feel like the studios, directors and/or writers are pre-empting criticism by throwing up an issue before their work comes out to be judged.

"You won't like this because it stars/was written/ was directed by a woman and if you don't like it you are part of the patriarchy"

Well I definitely don't want to be part of the patriarchy so I guess I will have to say I like it?

The Ghostbusters remake felt like that. I started to hear about how it having a female cast meant that men wouldn't like it way before even a trailer had been released.
    Then the film came out and it was bad. That wasn't down to what is a proven talented cast, it was clearly down to writing that had no clear idea of where they wanted to go and direction that lacked focus. A cast of super intelligent mega beings couldn't have rescued that script.
    One of my favourite comedies growing up was Private Benjamin (showing my age), a female lead with a mostly female supporting cast. The difference was that the script worked and the direction brought out the best in the cast.

The best female characters don't need to tell you they are strong because they are women. They are too busy kicking the asses of the Aliens, Zombies, villains to worry about what we think of them and for that reason we love them. When you watch Alien you want to be Ripley not one of the Marines, when you watch Resident Evil you want to be like Alice, when you watch Rambo you want to be, well.. Rambo. If the hero is well written, you admire them and want to emulate them, regardless of their sex, sexuality or race - cool is cool.

If it is well written, Batgirl will survive. If it badly written it won't deserve to survive.
    Last edited by Arbiec; 05-26-2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Mi speelang is nut gud

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arbiec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There will be very little long term watchability for this politically correct bollocks they're churning out - once the fad has passed, nobody will remember the cause celebre and all you're left with is a middling film which probably should have gone straight to DVD.

All this positive discrimination that's driving the studios is still discrimination: the world has gone too far. Let people earn their places based on real merit regardless of their characteristics.

I'm just trying to imagine Goldie Hawn playing Rambo, or Sly doing Benjamin - they don't work...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrC. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,273 Times in 1,317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrC. View Post
    There will be very little long term watchability for this politically correct bollocks they're churning out - once the fad has passed, nobody will remember the cause celebre and all you're left with is a middling film which probably should have gone straight to DVD.

All this positive discrimination that's driving the studios is still discrimination: the world has gone too far. Let people earn their places based on real merit regardless of their characteristics.

I'm just trying to imagine Goldie Hawn playing Rambo, or Sly doing Benjamin - they don't work...
    Just read that Sly is playing Rambo again and Arnold for another Terminator. When will this farce stop? Goldie Hawn might be a better Rambo at this stage than Sly.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kogi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yep more unoriginal crap

†

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bilbojr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,406 Times in 2,711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbojr View Post
    Yep more unoriginal crap
    i've been reading about a whole host of movies marvel studios have planned for the next few years - hero gets superpowers and a nifty new costume, fights bad guys, wins

seen it all before .......

"i know enough to know what's instantly forgettable"

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sp88 For This Useful Post: